NEC DVD 5800A not compatible with CCD4 Read mode (it was in CCD 3)

vbimport

The Numbers of the beta releases changes very quickly but my problem remain the same!

Why my NEC DVD 5800A is not compatible with CloneCD 4 Read Mode ("Read Subchannel Data from Data Track and Extra Audio Info"!).

Olli, is it a an harware issue (and I shut up for ever) or is it cloneCD bug?

Just a quick question: did you have the same problems with CloneCD 3? If so then it’s probably a hardware issue and not a bug in CloneCD 4. If not then it can be a problem with CloneCD 4.

With CCD3 was perfectly working (and still is).

Originally posted by fax2368
Why my NEC DVD 5800A is not compatible with CloneCD 4 Read Mode (“Read Subchannel Data from Data Track and Extra Audio Info”!).

I’ve got an NEC DV-5800A (firmware v1.90) and just tested it with read mode with the default Game CD profile (which has “Read Subchannel Data from Data Tracks” and “Read Subchannel Data from Audio Tracks” set as default,…the NEC has this set as its default too). I tried with the latest CloneCD 4 Beta 21 version reading my MOHAA game disc and was able to read and create an image without any problems whatsoever.

If you need any more information about my setup, let me know.

Seems to me like fax2368 is trying to copy a protected audio cd…:slight_smile:

With CCD3 was perfectly working (and still is).

The question is: Did it only appeared to work, or did it really work?

In CloneCD3 part of subchannel reading is broken, so a drive which delivers wrong subchannel data slips through as “working”.

Further, does the read abort with an error with CCD4 BETA21? Or do you only get a warning in the logbook?

A lot of replies meanwhile I was off the net!

The fact that someone else with the NEC has no problem it is already an indication there is something wrong with my settings and/or hardware!

I will check back and try to update to the most recent firmware (if it may help)

No, I was not trying to copy prot. audio was just a standard with no protection.

What I have notice is that the problem moved from “data and audio” incompatibility to only “data” in BETA 21.

Olli, it’s only in the log , and the process continue, but I never tried to see the results, I did always stop the copy process before.
I will test with a MOHAA or otehr protected CD

Anyway, in burner LG everyworks very well and able to copy everything

Thanks for the feedback

Olli, it’s only in the log , and the process continue, but I never tried to see the results, I did always stop the copy process before.

I double-checked my log after reading your message, and what I thought was a successful read to image with my NEC drive maybe wasn’t. You are absolutely right! There is an error message in the log that says…’_NEC DV-5800A is not compatible with CloneCD Read Mode “Read Subchannel Data from Data Tracks and Extra Audio Info”!’ Hmmmmmm… :confused:

Flashman, did all images created reading with NEC work?

Then, I suppose is just an error message with no effects on the copy created…

Anyway, this is something that only Olli can say…

Fax

Flashman, did all images created reading with NEC work?

First, let me say that I have up to now used my Plextor 40X (and before that another Plextor drive) to read data off CDs and not my NEC DV-5800A. So that’s why I’ve never noticed a problem with the NEC drive.

Anyway,…I tried creating a couple images using the default Game CD profile, which has “Read Subchannel Data from Data Tracks” enabled (and creates the error in the log file). These images would not work at all. In fact, they pretty much froze up my computer when I tried to run them. I then tried creating a couple images WITHOUT the “Read Subchannel Data from Data Tracks” enabled (and no error in the log file). These images ran fine!

I then tried CD Mate to see if it could create a workable image with reading of subchannel data. Same result as CloneCD. The image wouldn’t run. Finally, I tried BlindWrite and it said that reading of subchannel data wasn’t supported by the NEC drive, so I didn’t even try to create an image.

So my guess is that the NEC DV-5800A isn’t capable of correctly reading subchannel data from data tracks at all. Unless of course, Olli says otherwise.

Thanks flashman for testing…
It looks like NEC is really not compatible.

I suppose NEC will not capable of reading Cds with SECUROM type of protection, but still SD 2.X capable. Isn’t it?

Last word to Olli to close the issue…or hopefully to re-open it?

Fax