NEC CB-2100A malfunctioning. Please help

vbimport

I have Packard Bell laptop with NEC CB-2100A combo drive. It reads perfectly any audio or DVD disk. But it has problems with data disks. It works whenever it wants. I don’t think it’s a drivers problem (XP Professional installed). And it’s not a lens problem (it reads any other disks).

How can I solve this problem?
Can I flash it? Where can I find the firmware? I have searched the web but…no results.

Thanks in advance.

NEC CB-2100A malfunctioning. Please help.

There are no firmwares out there for this drive. Is it a CD-R or CD-RW data disc that it cannot read?

Dave please help me on that.

It reads perfectly DVD’s and Audios. But it takes a long time to read a data disk (about 5 minutes) or it doesen’t read it at all.

I took about 40 cd’s and inserted them one by one. 1/3 of them have been read and 2/3 not.

And it doesen’t matter is is a CD-R, CDRW or is it a factory disk. It reads and does not read all of them. :confused:

I have tryed to find the driver. But I don’t think it is a driver fault as long as all CD drives are using the same XP driver (5.1.2535.0, from 01.07.2001).

I have cleaned the lens with special EMTEC/BASF DVD cleaning disk. No results.

What could it be?

Recently I have found a review for PleXCombo PX-208TU. The article says:

The PleXCombo drive simply uses a NEC CB-2100A laser-unit inside this slim portable drive

I wonder if the firmware for this device can be used for my drive?

Good find! If you use Winzip to extract the files from the self extracting exe from here: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=266
The PlexFirm.ini file contains the following:

[UpgradeInformation]
Inquiry=PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-208T;
;Inquiry=_NEC    CB-2100A        ;
;BootFirmWareFileName=w1bp5290.bin
FirmWareFileName=w10p4080.bin
Version=1.02
;BootFirmwareFileSize=16416
FirmwareFileSize=360480
BUfferSize=2048
[Option]
Use ScsiPassThroughInterface on WinNT=Yes
Use CDRW Caution=Yes
;USE RESTART=NO

I assume that if you remove the semicolon from before “Inquiry=_NEC CB-2100A” and add one before “Inquiry=PLEXTOR CD-R PX-208T” then it would flash your drive. Note that this will convert it to a Plextor. See below for what to change it to if you are willing to try this.

[UpgradeInformation]
;Inquiry=PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-208T;
Inquiry=_NEC    CB-2100A        ;
Version=1.02
FirmwareFileSize=360480
BUfferSize=2048
[Option]
Use CDRW Caution=Yes
;USE RESTART=NO

Dave I’m sorry to bother you but…can this firmware kill my drive? Or it will just do nothing if it can’t flash it?

It’s always possible to kill your drive, but this definately looks promising. I mean, we didn’t even ahve to type the name in ourselves, we only had to uncomment it and comment the other! What is your current firmware version, by the way?

That is another question i would like to ask. How can I check my firmware version? Is there a utility for that?

I’m sorry but I’m not too professional in these things. :slight_smile:

Yes, use programs like:
DISCInfo (New version coming soon)
CDVDInfo (Now Replaced by DISCInfo)
DriveInfo
Nero InfoTool
Samsung WININQUIRY
Acer/BenQ Firmware Detection Tool

But I have Nero installed on my laptop

So the version is - 1.33

Originally posted by John-Does
[B]But I have Nero installed on my laptop

So the version is - 1.33 [/B]

Any progress? I’m facing the same problem, except that burning doesn’t work either (at times)…

It is not the firmware problem guys.
It’s a harware fault.

I have visited a lot of repairing centers here and they say that the lens has lost it;s capability to focus on data disck. Remember that the focus on audio, DVD and data discs is different.

It can be repaired but it costs a lot and require sophisticated devices wich we don’t have here.

So it is cheaper to buy a differen drive.

And what I am going to do is sell this God deam laptop and never get close to Packard Bell/NEC products again.

Going to buy a Toshiba Satellite.

Careful, Toshibas often use Matsushita combo drives which are probably no better. :frowning:

Code:
[UpgradeInformation]
;Inquiry=PLEXTOR CD-R PX-208T;
Inquiry=_NEC CB-2100A ;
Version=1.02
FirmwareFileSize=360480
BUfferSize=2048
[Option]
Use CDRW Caution=Yes
;USE RESTART=NO

I try it ,but doesn`t work!

I try it ,but doesn`t work![/QUOTE]

Me,too
Although mine region is restricted as region 1 but I need to play region 3
I can’t search for new firmware to upgrade .
my version is 1.0
is there any software can retrive the firmware from cb-2100a , or anywhere
can I get the firmware to upgrade.
thanx for a lot!