NEC *can* do almost-real-8x

Suggestion: Would it be possible to make the drive use this type of 8x writing on DVD±R?

Heh… It would be cool if it could be done… but nobody knows how. =) The 4x6x8x ZCLV writing on DVD±R disc is IMO a very big disadvantage of Nec drives.

For older drives, 8x writing always looked like this, but can’t you somehow hijack the way the engine is controled for dvd+rw to be used for dvd r?

Well Nec 3500, 3520, 3530 and 3540 all have 4x6x8x ZCLV writing… but don’t know about 25x0… I think it’s the same.

I think it’s not that simple to hijack the way for burning DVD+RW. If it would be Liggy would already do this.

Well it should/could be possible since Pioneer A09 has full CLV writing up to 6x and uses same Mainchip as ND3450. So I do not think that this is a hardware restriction.

deleted

I’ve been curious as to why the majority of DVD burners on the market use Z-CLV for certain speeds such as 6x and 8x while many of these same drives can burn DVDs at 16x using much better smoother techniques such as CAV or P-CAV. Seems as though the one exception is Plextor’s PX-716x series. I just can’t figure out the logic in this. Anyone care to comment?

i wish the NEC Burners 3500/3520/3540 could do 8x burning much quicker than they can do now. this had me thinking aswell because 8x +RW writing is faster than -R/+R by 2mins which is strange. the above drives starts burning at 6.5x max which can been seen in the picture and when burning a dvd at 12x/16x.

i cant see many users needing this feature at aleast not now anymore, as you can buy 16x media fairly cheap and mostly all 8x media can burn higher speeds at 12x/16x anyways with the right firmware…

i would LOVE to see such feature! 16x media is still at least 2x more expensive than 8x media, and having 10min 8x burns sucks a lot :frowning:

weird ~~
why NEC write strategy change to (6x -> 8x) ? mine still 4x->6x->8x .

yangxi, it’s for DVD+RW

I’m pretty sure the lazy NEC engineers could have copied the 4x6x8x +R strategy to +RW if they could. Now they redesigned this strategy solely for RW, the two strategies are probably not interchangable.

The reason why 8x burns go like 4x6x8x is because of the speed limitations on 2500A. Lazy NEC engineers copied these junk strategies from 2500A to 3500, added new 12x and 16x strategies and calls it a new product. It’s surprising that these obsolete designs still plague the latest NEC products all the way up to 3540. Hard to believe they can be this lazy! Even Liteon, who makes crappy writers, have implemented P-CAV on their latest series. NEC, you certainly suck.

Not DVD-RW, only DVD+RW. DVD-RW is written with 4x->6x Z-CLV

Hm… I think that 6x8x ZCLV writing for DVD+RW is maybe necessary and specified by DVD+RW alliance as even BenQ 1640 writes 8x DVD+RW in 6x8x ZCLV… and it’s a pure CLV/PCAV/CAV burner for other formats.

The Pioneer A09 can write them at 3.3x, 6x and 8x (Due to one of a whole lot of Nero bugs, you cannot select 3.3x in Nero, but it exists in better apps)

Yeah but are you sure the 3.3x speed (a bit weird speed I must say) is not the speed used for unsupported 8x DVD+RW disc… and leaving this speed available is actually a Pioneer firmware bug ? =)

Could it be that Z-CLV results in a more stable burn on 8x media - especially low-midrange grade?

I ask because I use a great deal of 8x “value” media that error-out (CRC errors!) with the Liggy/Dee overspeeded 3540 firmwares, but do just fine on my 2510a & 3540 (fw 1.0.1e).

Yeah but are you sure the 3.3x speed (a bit weird speed I must say) is not the speed used for unsupported 8x DVD+RW disc… and leaving this speed available is actually a Pioneer firmware bug ? =)
3.3x is probably the minimum speed allowed for 8x DVD+RW media (would be exactly the start write speed for 8x CAV)