NEC and SKC Co. LTD

vbimport

Hello,
I have bought a number of DVD-R 4x Bullpaq Orange from ebuyer. These discs were in the past on a Princo die and they worked perfectly with my NEC 1300a (at the time with the firmware 1.08).
Then the disks got changed in die (even if the external part is the same BullPaq Orange) and now they have ID: SKC Co.,Ltd.

With the SKC discs I had lots of problems with copies both recorded at 2x and at 4x with the firmware 1.08. These are backups of large content (around 4 GB) for console, done with DVDDecrypter.
The recording process would finish regularly but the discs were then not correctly read on my console (video skipping etc). So I ended up with many coasters.

I have now installed the latest unofficial firmware 1.0C (by herrie).
I thought that the SKC Co. disks were supported in it.
But I have the same problems and more coasters!

Enabling the verification in DVDDecrypter I get clear indication of errors towards the end part of the discs:

I 22:56:03 Verifying Sectors…
E 23:21:00 Failed to read Sector 2114144 - Unrecovered Read Error
E 23:21:00 Failed to Verify Sectors!
E 23:21:00 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:24:56

Is there anything I can do to use the (many) SKC Co DVD-R discs I still have remaining?
Has anyone else had trouble with these discs and the Nec 1300a?

You could try burning slower (if burner allows it) but Bulkpaq discs (especially the tango ones) are just complete shite and should be made illegal, sadly it is better to cut your losses and bin those discs as they CAN NOT be trusted in anything.

I tried to go to 2x (which is the minimum supported by these media), but no joy.

I bought a large quantity of these disks just because I had bought 25 earlier (when they were Princo based) and they were perfect (0 coasters). Jow could I know Bulkpaq was changing die?
Now that they are SKC Co.-based, I am throwing them away one after the other!!!

For info, if anyone is expert, this is the media identifier.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:SKC Co.,Ltd.]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [SKC Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [SKC Co.,Ltd.]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Control Data Zone’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘CDZ’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 10h - Format Information Of Control Data Zone
0000 : 25 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 12 7f 00 00 00 00 %…&…

** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Media Code’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘Media Code’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 0Eh - Pre-Recorded Information In Lead-In
0000 : 01 40 80 12 23 00 52 00 02 88 0d 13 66 78 80 00 .@…#.R…fx…
0010 : 03 53 4b 43 20 43 6f 00 04 2e 2c 4c 74 64 2e 00 .SKC Co…,Ltd…
0020 : 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 0b 14 11 87 78 80 00 …x…
0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 07 1c 0d 10 0a 0b 00 …
0040 : 00 00 …

SKC Co. is mentioned in the changelog list presented by Henrie in the latest firmware release (1.0C), so I was hopying that the strategy for its recording would help a bit…
Can anyone tell me if these are supposed to be supported or if a future firmware update might improve things?

Gee…if you want to use them for test burns, then fine. But these DVDs cannot be trusted to backup your data!

Never mind trying to read them in 6 months.

I got a few SKC branded SKC media from a friend who gets them from a computer dealer in the area(he pays a $1 a piece for these things).I tried a few out and they work fine with my Plex 708.They play fine when burn’t at 4x.My guess is like the others,BULPAQ crappola.

The problem is that is is very difficult to know beforehand. I have many Bulkpaq in 2004, which were on Princo die and worked 100% perfectly.

These SKC die are just rubbish. Just from surface scans you get loads of unreadable areas.

wow something makes princo look good :slight_smile: ummm try scanning some of your early burnt princo’s once and post a scan my guess is that they will be degraded enough in 6-12 months that they will be unreadable.

Hi,
the Princo-based discs are still going on as planned (they still play ok).
I could not find any scanning tool for the NEC 1300a (already asked in the appropriate forum), so I cannot put any scan up. Sorry.

But I am now more worried about these SKC Co. LTD…

Just look for Made in Japan on the box. Guarantee quality media. Course you may have to pay a little more since MIJ media are sold under Fuji, Maxell, TDK, and Sony.

you can do a transfer rate test using nero cd speed and scandisc ticking both file test & surface scan. i`am sure your 1300a can do these tests and post the results.

To give Bulkpaq some credit though, the top coat does not peel off when i keep putting hot drinks on those discs.

excellent

You can take a leak on them but those discs can not be flushed away in to the sewer (from where they came from).

Absolutly awesome \o/
I think you should open a thread with funny picture like this.

I tried some SKC in my 3520 and could not complete the burn, same on a friend’s Pioneer. Junk, toss 'em.

:bigsmile: ROTFL

Start a new thread titled,“GlamRocker’s take on junk Media”. :bigsmile: :bow: :cool:

Bulkcrap are about as welcome as a dose of the runs in a spacesuit! :stuck_out_tongue: