NEC 6650a does not recognize blank media

vbimport

Hello,
I am really hoping that someone out there can help me. I have gone through the thread and many people have similar problems but not the exact same one. So here it goes…

I have an NEC 6650a DVD ± RW drive that came with my Dell Inspiron Laptop (out of warranty). Using Sonic MyDVD Delux 7.0 and Sonic Record Now Delux 6.0 programs

Up until last week it would burn anything I wanted with out problem onto Retail Plus+ DVD+R 16x discs, but now it acts like it is working but after about an hour it spits out the disc with an error message of Disc Full, or the burn button is greyed out and I can’t even get that far.

Also now when I put a blank DVD into the drive my computer changes from DVD RW drive to CD Rom drive.

I have tried to uninstal/reinstall both Sonic programs, I have gone to the Dell site to see if there was an updated driver available and I have used my device manager to remove the drive and then reinstall it. Odd thing is that when I did that the first time it recognized it as NEC DVD-+ RW, but when I tried to repeat the whole process again after my burner still wouldn’t work it now shows as “found new hardware CD-ROM”.

Sorry for the long post, I am just trying to cover all info.

If anyone can offer me help I would truly be greatful.

P.S. I am really a stupid newb so try to use small words :wink:

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

“Retail” is the brand? :confused: - if so, sounds like crap to my ears.

but now it acts like it is working but after about an hour it spits out the disc with an error message of Disc Full, or the burn button is greyed out and I can’t even get that far.
Dos it happen wih blanks from the same package as before or with blanks of a new package?
Also now when I put a blank DVD into the drive my computer changes from DVD RW drive to CD Rom drive.
That part is normal :wink: - you just didn’t notice it before…

My first bet is bad media. Download DVDIdentifier, put a blank in the drive, launch the app, check the mediacode and post it if you don’t mind.

Also, the [I]exact [/I]error message from Sonic would be nice… :slight_smile:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-004-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [004]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Here is the DVD Identifier info that you requested.

The disk is from the same spool of 75, about 1/2 way down the package and I have tried 5 discs. I have the same problem with the Verbatim discs that I bought as well.

The exact message from sonic is a teeny tiny box that says:

Error
Disc Full

As for the discs being “crap” it is most likely lol, but I have never had a problem with them before and this is the 2nd spool I have bought of them. :slight_smile:

I also forgot to mention that when a blank disc is put into the drive it reads 0bytes used 0bytes free.

However I did realize last night that I am able to format blank media and it will then show me how much space is on the disc, though once I have done that I am not able to burn anything because the disc is no longer blank. :confused:

Is there anyone out there who has any suggestions for me? Or is my problem that terrible. lol

I decided to try and burn again and of course it didn’t work, surprise surprise. :slight_smile:

However, when I posted the error message before I was wrong, the exact error message is…

MyDVD

Disk is Full -19027

Not sure if that makes a difference, but I thought having the correct info might help.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I figured it out…the message meant that my hard drive was full not the media.

I redirected MyDvd to my d drive and deleted a bunch of files that I no longer needed.

Burns just like before! :slight_smile:

Now if I could only figure out how to speed up the transcoding process I would be laughing!!