NEC 6500A with a wrong firmware, soldering doesn't seem to work

vbimport

Hi,

I have a dell d810 with a NEC 6500A Drive. I by mistake burned the wrong firmware (version 4.24) insteed of 2.24. Which results in a drive not detected in bios.

I read the forum and found that I can either get a Slimline to IDE adapter or solder the 45-47 pins.

I did the soldering since it used to be my job and I even checked with a multi-meter that there is a short between these legs and there is.

However, the problem still accur, the dvd is not detected by the bios.

Can anyone help?

i believe you have infinitely complicated your problem by cross flashing a firmware 4xxx on to a drive with a 2xxx firmware.

this is a no no and renders the drive un usable.

to make matters worse you then soldered pins 45-47.

i do not know if it is possible to reflash using the correct 2xxxx firmware. but you can try.

if you dumped your original firmware into a file BEFORE you flashed the 4xxx that may be a better solution.

the only point i am not sure about is whehter you should un solder the connection first you attempt to reflash. if i were you i would try to unsolder the connection first. and then backtrack in the exact order you did things.

good luck, i think you’ll need it.

I have the original firmware dumped, I also tried to burn it but it stuck on the begining and then I get an error. With the new 1.28 binflash version it doesn’t even let me to do it. If I disconnect and reconnect the drive I get to work with it. But I couldn’t find any program that can flash the dump again.

the soldering is removed, its not really a problem for me.

Had it been detected in Windows???

after windows boot up I put it in sleep mode and then turn it on again and the drive is detected and working. However when I try to burn the dump, it failed on the start on &8000

Wrong firmware still on the drive, most likely.

I made it!!!

It was a bit tricky but I managed to cause the drive to flash on windows…
all is working now

instead of soldering the drive itself solder the connector. it keeps the warranty of the drive and achieves the same reults. see picture below

NO need, I made it finally, after a few fighting with windows, the firmware flasher software flashed the old dump.

Thanks!

and btw, this soldering did not help me at all, and am a soldering xpert.

Normally soldering does the TRICK.
But there are too many different drives and firmwares out there, and too many peepz trying to flash the impossible before READING carefully. :frowning:

I Have a seem problem , i solder pin 47 and 45 but my NEC 6500A are not detected by the bios and I can’t restore my origin firmware.
I test all Software Flasher , binflash , necflash … but no result.
Are you a Idea ???

PS: Sorry for my english , I’m french guy.

up

Try to use an slimtype adaptor…

[QUOTE=idosnick;1434555]NO need, I made it finally, after a few fighting with windows, the firmware flasher software flashed the old dump.

Thanks!

and btw, this soldering did not help me at all, and am a soldering xpert.[/QUOTE]

Please idosnick, tell me what did you do to flash back your drive, couse I’m with almost the same problem as yours!! (in fact I did the 4.60 -> 2.23 mistake) - and I still have my original 4.60.bin backup

Thanks in advance!!

Fred

Nevermind!!! :wink:

God Bless my HP lap … :slight_smile:

I just insert my “bad flashed”(4.60 -> 2.25) Nec ND-6500a into my new HP dv2000 and finally got it flashed back with v4.25 Firmware (original) (by NEC Drive Flash Utility)

Before that Ive try to death.. soldering and many versions... since I dont have an adaptor to flash from Desktop it was painful until I figured out this little trick…

Thanks anyway!!!, this tread help a lot of people!

Fred