NEC 6500A DVD-RW problem

I have a NEC6500A DVD-RW on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. The drive is about 3 years old, and has been working fine. Recently I upgrated the BIOS of the laptop as well as the firmware of the burner to 203E. After that the burner does not burn anymore, but can still read fine. The burner simply does not recognize any blank media, CD-R or DVD-R. I am running recordNow 7.3. Have tried to reinstall the software to no avail. Is the burner dead?

I’ve got a similar situation… Dell Inspiron XPS laptop, few years old, using Record Now 7.3, have updated NEC 6500A fw to 203E a while ago now. I updated the burner fw because I noticed issues running certain commercially produced DVD’s and thought it might solve the problem. It didn’t. I’m not sure what the original fw version was but I’m guessing it was 203D. Haven’t really been careful about checking what media works until recently when I needed to write to a DVD+RW. My drive seems to read from CD-R’s (only kind of CD media I have kicking around right now) but most troubling is that I can’t read or write to a Sony DVD+RW. Binflash prevents me from updating to the fw 2.25 which seems like what I should use. I got the 203E update from the Dell support site and that seems to be their latest. I’m wondering if the fw 2.25 version is what I should be using?

I also have a similar situation with an NEC 3100A, using Record Now and Deep Burner. I have an old desktop running Windows 2000. The system crashed and I had to re-install the OS. Since the re-install, the computer seems fine, except that I haven’t been able to run any game CD’s. (Audio CD-R’s still run fine.) Additionally, Sony CD-RW disks (that ran fine previously, now cause an error message saying " the drive isn’t available". I did re-install the OS again, and updated my DivX drivers, but no success. Help!

[QUOTE=stan518;1963080]I also have a similar situation with an NEC 3100A, using Record Now and Deep Burner. I have an old desktop running Windows 2000. The system crashed and I had to re-install the OS. Since the re-install, the computer seems fine, except that I haven’t been able to run any game CD’s. (Audio CD-R’s still run fine.) Additionally, Sony CD-RW disks (that ran fine previously, now cause an error message saying " the drive isn’t available". I did re-install the OS again, and updated my DivX drivers, but no success. Help![/QUOTE]

Please don’t hijack another thread. Your drive is a 3100, really unrelated to a slimtype drive like the 6500 is!

I suggest you read the FAQ how to crossflash your drive [B]into a 3500[/B] with latest firmware.