NEC-4571A does not write to DVD-R DL and ruins DVD+RW

Ladies and Gentlemen

As a first thing just after the registration, I would like to ask you a question regarding (as topic suggests) NEC-4571A.

The issue I am having at the moment is that although clearly supporting DVD-R DL and DVD+RW it simply refuses to write to DVD-R DL (Maxell) and makes DVD+RW non-rewriteable (i.e refuses to overwrite/format already written DVD+RW discs. Tested with Memorex).

Drive is ATA, set as single master on 2nd IDE channel. Firmware is 1.01.
I believe that system specs are hardly relevant to this issue, but just in case they are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
2048Mb RAM
7xHD where 2xSATA and 5xATA.
Radeon x1650 Pro
SB Live Platinum EX2

Generally it does not have any issues writing to neither CDR nor DVD-R media, although strangely enough it does not want to read some DVD-Rs while winamp is playing (?!).

I would appreciate very much if anyone could point me in a right direction on this matter and I will provide more information, should that be necessary.

Below is the Nero Info Tool output:

Nero InfoTool 4.4.2.0
Drive Information
------------------
Drive : _NEC DVD_RW ND-4571A
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : 1-01
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : 63F6Q66S111
Vendor Specific : 06011700
[I]Drive Letter : Z:[/I]
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 8.0 , 1.0 X
Write Speed : n/a
Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : Yes
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-R DL : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read HD DVD-ROM : No
Read HD DVD-R : No
Read HD DVD-RW : No
Read HD-BURN : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes
Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : Yes
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Write HD DVD-R : No
Write HD DVD-RW : No
Write HD-BURN-R : No
Write HD-BURN-RW : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
SolidBurn : No
Labelflash : Yes
LightScribe : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW DAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96
Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 2
Changes User : 4
Changes Vendor : 4
CSS : Yes
CPRM : Yes
AACS : No
VCPS : No

As a final note, I am currently in Japan and local shops tend to sell purely DVD-R (DL). Hence the discovery of the issue.

Also, media here seems to be divided into “For Video” and “For Data” category - in other words you may find “DVD-R for Data” as well as “DVD-R for Video” here. Personally I find it a bit of a nonsence, but go figure…

Thank you for taking your time on this matter.

Kind Regards

You could see if support for your media is improved with the 1-02 firmware for your drive.

However you don’t mention the MIDs of your discs and Maxell tend to sell all kind of discs under their own label.

MID for this particular disc is TYG11, or at least this is what Nero Info Tool retrieves.

I downloadded the 1.02 firmware, but wanted to check if perhaps somebody else got this issue before I go medieval on the drive…hehe

Dump the actual firmware (using binflash), then flash with the new one and try your luck.

I wouldnt count on the Maxell DL anyway.

When I got my first CD-R, Maxell where the only media it refused to write to, so I am not a big Maxell fan, if you know what I mean.

The issue at the moment is that both Nero and CDBurnerXP blatantly refuse to write to the media, where Nero gives the following message:

“Could not perform start of Disc-At-Once”
“Burn process failed at …x” (tried all speeds)

and CDBurnerXP gives:
"Device error 339973 Failure reserving DVD-R DL track.
“Cannot write medium ? Incompatible format. 0x053005”

I will flash the drive today and test again.

What about the DVD+RW?

Full format it in Imgburn.

Last time I tried the DVD+RW I just burned the files using Nero.

When I tried InCD, it formatted the disk, but then refused to copy anything to it saying the disk is not writeable.
Since then I haven’t actually bothered getting DVD+RW.

Still, it is rather annoying to know that I can’t write to DVD+RW, if you know what I mean.
I will give Imgburn a go and see if it makes any difference.

Full format with imgburn, then use imgburn to burn your files to the DVD+RW the normal way (not using incd).

Apologies for the delay in progress.

Liggy:
I just flashed the drive to 1.02 firmware and writing to the DVD-R DL (Maxell MID: TYG11).
It seems to be working fine - in other words Nero no longer spits the disc out before writing.
So the first impression is that 1.02 seems to be the remedy for this issue.
I will however check the final result and update this post.

Chef: Thanks for the tip on DVD+RW. I will definitely give it a go.

Just to confirm.

The drive indeed successfully writes to DVD-R DL.
Additionally, a friend of mine just sent me this note, which I completely missed:

All NEC DVD burners store an internal drive identification in their Flash RAM. In order to cut license costs, some drives were sold without the ability to write to DVD-R, DVD-RW or DVD-R DL discs. Althought by means of hardware these drives are absolutely identical with there +R counterparts, it was impossible to burn these discs even when applying the “full version” firmware.

Contrary to this note however, the issue was solved by applying “full version” firmware.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind Regards

[QUOTE=Herr Garman;2030549]All NEC DVD burners store an internal drive identification in their Flash RAM. In order to cut license costs, some drives were sold without the ability to write to DVD-R, DVD-RW or DVD-R DL discs. Althought by means of hardware these drives are absolutely identical with there +R counterparts, it was impossible to burn these discs even when applying the “full version” firmware.

Contrary to this note however, the issue was solved by applying “full version” firmware.[/QUOTE]
The last drive that was restricted by firmwares was the NEC ND-3500A which was “crippled” to a ND-3100A. Also the first ND-3520A drives with stock firmware could not write DVD-R DL but that was fixed with a firmware upgrade.

There never was a version of the ND-4571A hardware that could not write DVD-R/-RW/-R DL. It might just not have had support for your specific media in the original firmware

Liggy

Having taken this into consideration, you are right.
This is though my first NEC writer, I was quite unfortunate to buy Plextor prior to that.

I will do some more tests on different medias at some point later on.

Kind Regards

Herr,

When your burner tries to read or write to a DVD+RW, do you notice any strange behavior with the drive?

I have an Optiarc AD-7191A (FW v1.04) that also can’t write to DVD+RWs (although DVD-RWs work fine). When I try, it just hangs and the activity indicator light blinks fast and erratic, much like a hard disk activitiy indicator. I don’t know if both of our problems are caused by the same thing or not.

I learned recently that my drive is actually manufactured by Lite-On so maybe not, but thought I’d ask anyway.

Okane786:

No, nothing of what you mention, (un)fortunately.
The DVD+RW insterted prompted Format option, however when formatted using InCD it was unusable.
I successfully burned a blank DVD+RW in Nero (ones formatted were unusable as I already mentioned) but the process itself was quite slow.

[QUOTE=Herr Garman;2037227]Okane786:

No, nothing of what you mention, (un)fortunately.
The DVD+RW insterted prompted Format option, [B][B]however when formatted using InCD it was unusable.[/B][/B]
I successfully burned a blank DVD+RW in Nero (ones formatted were unusable as I already mentioned) but the process itself was quite slow.[/QUOTE]

InCD is not very recommended, even for DVD+RW.

Please uninstall INCD I think it also installs filters on your machine
You will have nothing but probs with incd as it has no +'s that you can’t get from other software that don’t install crappy ass filters on your PC.