NEC 3550A Problem - Fixation?

vbimport

My system is a Gateway P4A, 2000MHz, w/256MB RAM. I’m running Win XP Pro. My burner software is Nero, v6.6.013. My previous Lite-On CD-RW quit on me. So I purchased a NEC 3550A DVD burner, firmware version 1.05.

I recieved it with the pins jumped for Master, so I switched to slave (2 sets of pins to the left). I installed it and Win XP recognized it for what it was. Then I tried to backup some files using a Memorex CD-R disk. The error message said the burner could not perform fixation. I don’t recognize that term.

I’ve attached the Nero History Log, for your review. Can anyone help me with my fixation problem?

Thanks, in advance.
Lanny

Update to 6.6.0.14 and try with better media.

Swap the locations of these two drives if possible and enable DMA:

CdRomPeripheral : MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8587 atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: Off
CdRomPeripheral : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A atapi Port 1 ID 1 DMA: On

And disable Multisession!

Thanks Chef,
Cables won’t permit swapping locations. How do I disable ‘Multisession’ and enable DMA on Matshita drive. What CD and DVD media do you recommend?
Lanny

I went into BIOS and checked on the DMA for the Matshita drive. For my Gateway, the “Ultra DMA” is set at “Mode 2” for both the Matshita CD-ROM and the NEC DVD burner. I don’t know why Nero is sensing the DMA as ‘OFF’.
My PC just didn’t want to let me check the system setup of the BIOS. I had to hold the F1 key down several times during restart to get it to take me to the BIOS. Seems like it would start Windows almost every time.

Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden media would be an excellent choise, for CD and DVD.

Just try another burn, maybe even in Simulation mode.

You can disable Multisession in the burning/template window you get directly before burning.