NEC 3550A crashing computer

vbimport

Hey,

I’ve been using this NEC 3550A for about a year now and it’s been fine up until now. About 10 burns back I noticed that when the burning process started (eg when using ConvertXtoDVD, after the videos have finished encoding and the burn automatically starts) the computer completely froze for about 3 seconds. It progressively got worse and worse until now it just completely crashes and I can’t do anything. I can’t even open the task manager, and I can’t eject the disk either; the drive appears to be dead, I can only move the mouse so I need to restart the computer to fix it.

It’s strange though because when I use Nero Burning ROM, to just burn files straight away, it works fine with no crashing. But when I leave it burn automatically (ConvertXtoDVD or Nero Vision) it crashes. I’m using Verbatim DVD+R 16x discs if it means anything.

I’m using the 1.05 firmware also, I’m not sure if I should update the firmware to the one posted here as it will void the warranty (how long does the NEC warranty last anyway?)

Any ideas anyone?

Maybe it’s not a drive fault, but the software went corrupted in some way. Have you tried to uninstall ConvertXtoDVD and install it again? Maybe this solve :slight_smile:

I’ve used 3 different versions of the program over the time it’s been happening. It also happens in Nero Vision which I’ve had to reinstall a few times.

I don’t think it’s the software.

To exclude a damaged drive I think that the best way is to install it on a different computer. Can you do this test? Maybe you can ask to a friend

I read somewhere that sometimes alcohol give problems if you don’t set preferences correctly. Do you have Alcohol installed?

I believe Alcohol killed my last drive.

It might have been a coincidence though, as the drive completely died (no lights/function at all even on this new computer I built myself) when I installed Alcohol. I have avoided it since.

I don’t have another computer to test it out on, I’ll ask someone tomorrow to test it out.

Thanks for your replies btw.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: