NEC 3550A - Can't play or burn audio cds

I just recently installed the 3550A in my Dell…it replaced a CDR-W drive. The drive will play DVDs just fine, but when I insert an audio CD the drive is unable to read/detect it. I had first tried to burn an audio CD using MusicMatch, but the burn process failed stating “The drive has reported a hardware failure. A bad disc may be the cause.” Of course I tried another disc and it resulted with the same error. Windows Media Player was unsuccessful as well. Would the configuration of slave/master make a difference. The DVD ROM drive(D:) and the 3550A(E:) are configured as cable select, just as they were by default. Would changing them to a master/slave configuration make a difference? I have already upgraded the firmware as well. Primary and Secondary IDE configured as ‘DMA if available’ as well. I just can’t understand why it will play DVDs just fine, but it will not play a regular(bought from the store) audio CD. I’m new to using the DVD-R, as I’ve only used the CDR-W drive that came with the machine, so I’m probally missing something. Any ideas???

no ideas anyone?? guess I’m just lost because it will play DVDs…it just won’t play audio CDs at all…

Try the drive in another computer and uninstall useless tools you won’t use.

Most probably a defective drive. :frowning: This happens. DVD burners have different lasers for DVD and CD, so a failure of either still allows operation with the other.

My first NEC 3540A had the same defect.

My 3540A had the same problem… Laser dead for cds… It happens… Change the drive…

thanks alot for the feedback…I installed another 3550a in a different computer I have at home and it worked fine…so I’ll take your suggestion chef and try installing it in there…and if it still doesn’t work…then I guess we know its the drive…thanks…