NEC 3550 riplock

Is there a firmware upgrade to remove the riplock from the 3550? Also what is the difference in firmwares from Bitsetting to just firmware?

Here is a good place to start;
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/3550/
it doesn’t seem that there is a riplock or rpc version out yet.

Check the link created by typing bitsetting. It will basically allow you to burn a DVD+R disc that a dvd stand alone player will recognize as a DVD-ROM movie(pressed disk) and not a DVD+R. It basically increases the chance of a burned DVD to work on older DVD stand alone players. Bitsetting is only for DVD+R’s not DVD-R

Are you sure the 3550 needs riplock removal? I seem to recall someone saying that the newer models had no riplock.

Good call, lets do a search!!!

Edit this is what I came up with

seems the 3540 is riplocked to 7X/8X, and the 3550/4550 is not.

I got this info from cdfreaks review of the 3540 and 4550. and a thread.
I can’t find anything definate if the 3550 has riplock or not, but I do know the 4550 doesn’t. So I am guess neither does the 3550.

Just in case there is some kind of riplock in the firmware that has not been found yet, my RPC1 firmwares will also remove this riplock check.

I was also wondering if there was i riplock !

When i use the merge dvd option of (DVD Copy 4 platinum) to put my kids favourite episodes of Smallville on one disk, my (Nec 3500A 2TG) rips alot faster than my (Nec 3550 1.5 rpc1) :confused: (both on seperate fast systems)

Also, with the 3500 and (1click dvd copy) my discs have an average burn speed of 8x sometimes peaking at 12x, but the 3550 only has an average of 5x rarely peaking at 8x :confused:

btw, thanks for the firmwares Liggy :slight_smile: My Nec 3500 2TG with Datawrite Titanium gives top quality burns everytime :wink:

I hope the 3550 improves with future updates, as i’m not that impressed with it tbh !

You’re going to have to be more specific. “rips a lot faster” really doesn’t tell us very much. Use DVDDecrypter to rip the same DVD in each drive (the 3500 and the 3550). Take note of the total time, the average speed, and the maximum speed. Then compare these two sets of numbers.

Likewise, on comparing burn speeds, please be more specific. Tell us the media id of the discs that you are burning. No one would be surprised if there are some discs that the 3500 burns faster or better than the 3550. But there will also be other discs that the 3550 will burn better/faster.

Sorry this is rather new to me, it was just my observation of the speeds that 1click has in its details when burning.

Thanks for the info, i will give it a shot and post back.

I’m using Datawrite Titanium 8x dvd-r… i’m not sure if that’s the id you wanted, but that’s all i can find on the disk and package.

OK, with Decrypter the 3550 is way in front.

Disc size - 7,273,480 KB

The 3500 was 3-7x speed and finished in 17m 30s
The 3550 was 6-10x speed and finished in 10m 42s

I guess it was just the merge dvd option of dvd copy 4 program causing the speed difference… Apart from the 3500 finishing quicker, i could actually see the speed difference whilst ripping, by watching the kb numbers going up slowly with the 3550 and very fast with the 3500. (if that makes any sense lol)

There is a definate burn speed difference with the media i use (Datawrite Titanium 8x-R)… like i said before… "with the 3500 and (1click dvd copy) my discs have an average burn speed of 8x sometimes peaking at 12x, but the 3550 only has an average of 5x rarely peaking at 8x "

I also find that the picture quality is slightly better when burned with the 3500. Sometimes it seems like the fps are lagging a little when the camera pans left or right quickly, but the 3500 quality is very smooth.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated :slight_smile:

What burner would you get if you had to buy another one…? Thinking of getting the 3550A but the lack of bitsetting for +RW makes me think BenQ 1640 or LG GSA-4167B.

I bought the 3550 because the 3500 is so good, and thought it would just be a faster version of the 3500 with the same quality, but i guess i was wrong. That’s my impression using the same media, maybe it will be great with the right media or firmware…

I have no idea what else i would buy, but i’m not that worried as the drives are cheap enough :slight_smile:

I’m sure one of the regulars will have some good recommendations.

The lg 4163 has no bitsetting for +RW and I would be surprised if the 4167 does either. I would confirm before you buy.

Part of my previous post makes more sense like this, but i couldn’t edit.

I also find that the picture quality is slightly better when burned with the 3500. Some of the backups made with the 3550 seem like the frames per second are lagging a little when the camera pans left or right quickly, but the 3500 quality is very smooth.

Thanks

Use DVDIdentifier to obtain the media id of your blank disks,
see here:

http://dvdidentifier.cdfreaks.com/

The 3550 is a very new drive, and the firmware is not very mature at this time. It does work well with Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 8x disks (Yuden T02 media id), and others. Keep reading here and you will learn more than you ever imagined.

Thanks, nice program :slight_smile:

I didn’t realise that the disc ID would be different even when the disc name and packaging is identical.

Here’s the ID’s of the discs that i have.

Datawrite Titanium - CMC Magnetics Corp - CMC MAG AE1

Datawrite Titanium - TDK Corp - TTG02

Datawrite Greytop - Prodisc Technology - Prodisc F01

I am awaiting delivery of these discs which were recommended by a friend.

Verbatim - Taiyo Yuden - TYG02

To be honest i’ve no clue on the quality reputation of any of those ID’s, but i suppose it’s a case of finding the right ID that works with your drive and sticking to it. (you learn something new everyday)

Thanks for the heads up, any more advice is very welcome :wink:

@ MiTz,

Most DVD Media retailers do not manufacture their own DVD media but purchase the media from a DVD media manufacture and then package the media and place their name on the package. Sometimes these DVD Media retailers purchase the media from reliable manufactures and sometimes they don’t. This means that only definitive why to truly identify the media is to use the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of the media. To acquire information on DVD MID codes suggest visiting the CD Freaks Blank Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33).

If you are looking for quality Taiyo Yuden media Rima.Com (http://www.rima.com) is good reliable source.

Locally FujiFlim is good reliable media but ensure that the package states ‘Made In Japan’. FufiFilm manufacture in any other country other than ‘Made In Japan’ quality is known and should be avoided.

Best Regards,
bjkg

I think i’m suffering a little from information overload lol, but i’m sure i’ll pick it all up eventually :wink:

forgive me, but what exactly is rip-lock? the drive not being able to rip a dvd I assume?

No. It just slows down ripping on Video-DVDs