NEC 3540A and 3550A

What is the difference between the NEC 3540A and the 3550A drives?

Thanks,

fixindad

The drives are based on different chipsets, they cannot be crossflashed. The 3540 is an older generation, the 3550 is newer. The 3550 is essentially the same drive as the 4550, only with the DVD-RAM capablities disabled in the firmware. The 3550 can be crossflashed to the 4550 successfully, thus enabling DVD-RAM writing, but the software tools for doing so have not been released yet.

The firmware for the 3550 is newer, not as mature as the firmware for the 3540. The 3540 is better for quality scanning than the 3550, but neither of them is in the same league as the Liteon or Benq drives.

Wish I had read that statement ealier. I have already ordered an NEC 3550A and it’s too late to cancel without paying a restock fee, but I had almost grabbed the Lite-On SOHW-1693S instead.

Are you talking just scan quality or overall? Overall, there’s no way BenQ and Lite-On are better writers than NEC drives. I’ve heard that the chipsets in Lite-On drives since the 4x DVD+/-R days are now worse than ever, and my LDW-411S was such an unreliable burner. When I bought an ND-2500A, I got nothing but reliable burns. The ND-3540 is just as good (except for when it comes to handling new crappy RiData media).

Riiiight, 'cuz everybody knows the BenQ 1620 & 1640 are just junk :disagree: I had a 3520 and was unimpressed. I’m getting a couple of 3550s as secondary/backup drives because they’re cheap; I will use them as readers which can also scan/burn when needed. But I’m really just waiting for the BenQ 1650 :cool:

Upon further reflection, I can see that the above statement might not have been 100% clear, so allow me to rephrase.

The 3540 is better for quality scanning than the 3550, but neither of them is in the same league as the Liteon or Benq drives FOR QUALITY SCANNING.