NEC 3540 DVD+DL Compatibility

vbimport

Hi all,

I’ve just bought an NEC 3540 and upgraded the firmware straight away to “Dees 1.W5” - no problems there :slight_smile:

I tried to backup a commercial DVD 9 movie using DVD Shrink 3.2 and Nero 6 (latest version) but the resulting Verbatim 2.4x DVD+DL wouldn’t play the second layer information on both my domestic DVD players, neither my PS2 and even on the NEC 3540 itself.

I then tried DVDdecrypter to extract the movie to an ISO and then burn that from directly within DVDdecrypter to another Verbatim 2.4X DVD+DL disc - this was better in that the movie now plays on the NEC 3540 OK and also my PS2 OK but still both my domestic players don’t get past the first layer…

From what I understand now it seems that some domestic players just do not work with home grown DVD+DL discs. I’ve looked on www.videohelp.com for machine compatibility and this seems to back up my theory - but maybe someone out there can give me some better information.

Is there something else I can try as I’d love to be able to create usable backups of my movies onto DVD+DL discs that will play on the majority of players.

All help would be appreciated.

Steve.H

Welcome to the forum.
1.W5 has manual set and forget Bitsetting to set the booktype to DVD-ROM, make sure the booktype setting is correct. It should be set to DVD-ROM

I’ve just got a new NEC 3540 and flashed it to Firmware 1.5W

When I created a DVD+DL disc with DVDshrink 3.2 and then burned the files with Nero 6.6.08 (Book-Type DVD-ROM in case you ask).
The resulting Verbatim DVD+DL disc didn’t play in most stand alone DVD players - not even on the NEC 3540 very well !!

Then I tried DVDdecrypter (3.54v) and created an ISO from a commercial DVD9 and then burnt that directly from DVDdecrypter to the 3540 and this was much better at compatibility.

Has anyone else found similar results?

I thought Nero was king?

Steve.H

Since when was Nero king of anything? Search this forum, and you’ll find many people talking about various problems with Nero and DL burning.

In my personal experience, DVD Decrypter has been by far the most reliable and stable burning app, and I do all my burning with it (I burn with DD more than I rip with DD).

(Threads merged.)

I burned a Ritek D01 DVD+R DL with Nero latest version on my NEC ND-3540A. It failed to burn the second layer. So buy buy DL disc! Should I blame the disc or Nero?

I burned a Ritek D01 DVD+R DL with Nero latest version on my NEC ND-3540A. It failed to burn the second layer. So buy buy DL disc. Should I blame the disc or Nero?

Since when was Nero king of anything?
No one ever released more 30 MB updates, added more bugs and yet was used by so many people… definitely king :slight_smile:

I burned a Ritek D01 DVD+R DL with Nero latest version on my NEC ND-3540A. It failed to burn the second layer. So buy buy DL disc. Should I blame the disc or Nero?
Don’t forget you: It’s you who actually bought a Ritek D01 disc…

Yes I did. I can´t predict the future!

I already knew that Ridisc media is Ritek. But this one was HiSpace, written 100% optically tested! I bought only one to try it. I could never predict it was a Ritek. It was the first HiSpace I bought. And the last!

From the four Ritek D01 I bought only one was usable. Great! 25% of sucess! Great job Ritek! You surelly know how to get my money!

The two Verbatim I bought were OK. Next time I will buy Verbatim. Because Ritek is everywhere! You don´t know what you are going to get on a DL disc!

Best regards!

What a waste. I only use Nero for some data backups on SL media.
DVDDecrypter all the way, using ImgToolBurn for DVD-VIDEO discs (SL+DL) is also good here (it uses the Nero API).
But if you have the chance to read with DVDDecrypter, burning with it is the logical next step. :iagree:

Or you could try CopyToDVD :bigsmile:

I’ve burned numerous RITEKD01 (Memorex + RiDATA brand) discs on my NEC ND-3540A without any problem.
I normally burn .ISO files using CD-DVD Speed.

Just yesterday I picked up my Verbatim 4X DVD-R DL and burned with DVD decrypter and It worked out pretty good for me. It did play on my home player and didnt have any stutter…pixil…or freezing. I was happy with the quality too. I also bought the Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4X but didnt get to try them as of yet. ( I paid enough for them, 29.00 for 3pk, they better work !! ) LOL

oh yea …another thing is I too have NOT had any problem with my Ritek discs also. My memorex 8X discs which are burning at 12X with 1W4 are manufactured by…Ritek now thats a trip !