NEC 3520 - When do you know your burner is dead?

vbimport

I did the most stupid thing. Upgrade the firmware (official 3.04) without reading first the included Read.ME. I quote:
"Connect drive to secondary IDE channel as Master, use standard UDMA-2 IDE cable

Disconnect all slave hardware from IDE secondary Master

Update in Windows “Safe Mode”

Under Windows 2000 & XP login as administrator

Update without DMA mode, under Windows XP & 2000 in the device manager - “IDE ATA/ ATAPI controllers”, you can switch from DMA to PIO mode "

I did no such thing. The drive was Secondary Slave from normal Windows, not Safe mode. The update procedure ended succesfully, restarted PC, but NEC led ON. On next restart Windows started up slower than other times. After startup and after new device recognition (Yes, the drive is recognisable !!! - in device manager and in Nero as well) the LED turned off and I thought “OK. Just fine”… Until I pressed the eject button. LED on for 2-3 minutes, PC sluggish…

Is my burner dead ? Is there any way to revive it ???

PLEASE SOME HELP !!! :bow:

You can always try to reflash using the proper procedure this time.:slight_smile:

Did that during the wait… Same thing… when eject button or Eject command through windows is given, LED on and computer sluggish …

Any other way ??? From DOS maybe ???

Strange, I flashed my NEC 3520 a lot without disconnecting the secondary slave, not in safe mode and without changing to PIO mode.
Never had a problem with it.

I have flashed 100 times without doing that proceedure. Very strange!

Mine was Ok a couple of times when I flashed it like you did, but one flash was bad and the tray kept popping out and wouldn’t work so now I flash with the MS default IDE drivers. Only way I got it working again was to flash back to 1.04 FW that I had dumped before flashing. Lesson learned.:wink:
@aposti. There is a DOS way but I have never used it. Believe the NEC FAQ’S deal with it though.

What can I do now…? I have disconnected the drive from the IDE cable and I connected only power and the drive ejects. It still has the LEd on for more than it should be (I think), but it ejects…

What do you recon ?

anyone ?

I would say: flash it back to the way it was!

Download an official NEC firmware from http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/3520.html (.bin format) and flash it in DOS using the TDB DOS based flasher. In order to do this, create a DOS boot floppy from Windows and put the bin file and the TDB DOS flasher on it. If the floppy doesn’t have space enough for both the bin file and the flasher, remove files with names like “keyboard” and “ega” to free up some space (assuming you made the DOS boot floppy from Windows XP). Reboot in DOS, then use the TDB flasher (i’m sure you can find the needed parameters for this somewhere; “flasherfile.exe -?” in DOS might help). Don’t forget to plug in the IDE cable before you boot to DOS and flash. :wink: Hopefully this all helps.

All of the above is explained in a bit more detail (as if this isn’t detailed enough :)) in the Big NEC F.A.Q. Please read it, today and every next time you have a problem with your NEC drive! BTW, a link to TDB flasher can also found there.

[sarcasm mode]
If anyting else fails, I recommend throwing the pc out of your window. That will surely get rid of your LED problem. Although the drive probably won’t eject anymore.
[/sarcasm mode]

There seems to be a compatability problem with NON Microsoft IDE drivers with firmware 3.04. nVidia IDE drivers seem to cause the most problems.
Try Microsofts default IDE drivers and try flashing again from Windows. No real need to go into SAFE mode to do this :slight_smile:

You can of course do as suggested above and flash from DOS.
But for correct operation of this drive and firmware, you should still use MS default IDE drivers.

I must admit that I’m a relic from an old era, still flashing from DOS most of the time. But IMO it is still the best way. It takes some more effort though.

Dee-27: Are you having some “compatibility” problems ? =) Yeah I know it’s late.

I haven’t, but i use MS drivers. But i’ve had many PM’s from members upgrading to 3.04 then having problems. MS drivers seem to cure them. Also around the forum there have been a few reports from members using programs such as AnyDVD after flashing with 3.04, again they are mostly sorted by using MS IDE drivers.

EDIT: and also in my modified firmware thread, which of course is based on 3.04 firmware.

Sounds like an over-complicated procedure, given that most flash updates are pretty much click-and-wait :rolleyes:

Booting and flashing from Dos is a piece of cake.

• Goto www.bootdisk.com and download an floppy image maker of your favorite flavor of DOS (I use Dr-Dos 7.0 drdflash.exe , uses up least amount on the floppy)
  • Create an image using the application
  • Copy the dos flasher and the bin file to the floppy
  • Reboot and flash
    Pretty easy…

Having said that, I never had any issues flashing from Windows, but I do use Intel based motherboards exclusively so they always come with either Intel or Microsoft drivers

Knowing apotsi in real life,i cant really help myself but LOL since i did suggest buying that drive :slight_smile:

I am sure that using the MS drivers will fix the problem.

The board is an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe. It has MS Drivers. I took it to work today. I 'll post results soon.

[wicked mode]Hemi, if everyting fails, guess who will not be eating carbonara any more[/wicked mode]

I put it in my PC at work (DELL Optiplex 170L) and flashed it back to 1.04 from DOS. Everything went OK. Burned a disc (CD-RW, forgot to take empty DVD+Rs from home), everything OK.

Flashed it again with 3.04 riplock removed and everything OK, again. I don’t know what to do. I will leave it this way and if at home it doesn’t go well, I will flash it from DOS back to 1.04

I have a NEC 3520A and a nForce 4 motherboard (MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum).
I’ve been using nVidia drivers (v6.53) for about 2 months without a single hitch.
Why is that hysteria about MS Drivers? :slight_smile:

Nothing is wrong with nVidia’s m/board drivers. But there IDE drivers are not good with optical drives. Its a well known problem for all optical drives, not just NEC. Read the FAQ’s on the various forums. :wink: