NEC 3520 Newbie help required

vbimport

Hi guys,

First of all, although i’m pretty ‘l33t’ in some areas of computing and the net, i’m pretty much a newbie when it comes to DVD recording. Over the pas few months i’ve looked through the forums on this site and others and it seems like a massively complex subject. I bought my burner about six months ago, and it took me weeks of reading through info just to choose which one to get.

Anyway, here is my situation: I have about 500+ Gb of data that I need to archive onto DVDR. This data is MASSIVELY important to me, so the recordings need to be as secure and long-lasting as possible. What I want to know is:

a) Which media is best for my drive in terms of the best quality of recording (and where I can buy it online in the UK)?
b) I always used to burn data onto CDRs at the lowest speed, as I thought this would make a better, more error-free recording. Is this wise to do with DVDRs, or is it better to record at the DVDRs intended speed?
c) I intend to make two copies of each disc (in case one fails, then I have a backup copy). Would you recommend using a different brand for this purpose, or just use two discs of the same type? Or perhaps same brand, but one DVD+R disc and one DVD-R?

Thanks for your help guys, very much appreciated, and keep up the good work!

Hi :slight_smile:
Personally I use Infiniti - (MCC 03) + (MCC 004) this is the same coating as Verbatim only cheaper
For these try here
Taiyo Yuden are also very good some would say the best
For these try here
You could try both having 1 on 1 & 1 on the other
As far as speed goes I’ve found that the Infiniti 16x whilst satisfactory at 16x there’s an improvement when written @ 12x
However if you go slower the quality starts to drift off

Thanks, is there any proven difference between +R and -R in terms of reliability?

Hi :slight_smile:
Only certain writers may prefer + over - NEC seems to cope with either
With f/w such as Liggy & Dee’s :bow: (1.W5) with bitsetting to aviod incompatability with stand alone machines (probably not relevant in your case) an excellent choice :clap:
Personally I would buy either subject to availability & price :wink:

Hi, welcome :slight_smile:

Most trustable answers about which medias are the most reliable for long-term archiving:
http://cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=142231#142231

As to safety clones, I think careful stockage (humidity, heat and light control) should be considered first, then when you control these and you still want more security will you only consider backup clones…

If you really, really want to make backup clones, I’d suggest you use a different media, as different technologies will probably react differently to bad conditions.
Let’s say media A could be more sensitive to heat and media B more sensitive to humidity. See what I mean?

Now if it’s to place your backups in different locations (fear of fire for example), just use the same media and save yourself from useless headaches :wink: