Nec 3520 can't read some dvds?

vbimport

So I have a DVD box set of a Korean tv series that I have been trying to watch on my computer. Two of those DVDs play fine on my NEC 3520 DVD burner. The other four don’t. But they all play fine on two standalone DVD players that I tried.

For those four DVDs, when I insert them, the drive lights up for a little bit and then stops. Under My Computer, it shows that there is no disc in the drive. Windows Media Player, DVD Shrink, DVDIdentifier also sees no disc in the drive.

These are all original DVDs (not burned). If it helps, the DVDs are dual layer single sided discs and are NTSC, region 1. For the burner, I have the LD3520 2.U2 firmware installed. My operating system is Windows XP Home.

Funny thing is that I have another Korean box set that does the same thing. They all work on the standalone players but some will not on my computer. At first, I thought it could be some kind of DVD protection device used by the DVD makers but if the standalone players can read the DVDs, I figured the burner should too. But what do I know.

If anybody has any suggestions or solutions, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

try running anydvd in the background.

hmmmm…I used to have similar problem with a dvd where it plays fine on a standalone dvd player but pc dvd player couldn’t read it. The problem was that the dvd was a bit bent. I doubt this is the same problem u have (it sounds like ur dvds are brand new) but maybe try placing the dvds on a flat surface to see if it flat or not…

Thanks for the repsonse, guys.

Physically, the DVDs look good. They’re not warped or scratched up.

I still couldn’t get it to work with AnyDVD. Under Information, it says: “No Disc is present in Drive D:!” Are there any settings that I should be aware of? They’re at default right now. The two DVDs that do work have this info:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 5.4.1.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1

Video DVD (or CD) label: LMMW_DVD06_SCN
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Thanks again for the suggestions though. It was worth a shot!