NEC-3500A not setting booktype for DL discs IMGBurn

I’ve started burning some dual discs. However, it seems the drive isn’t setting the booktype to DVD-ROM for dual layer discs. I’ve been using the 2.18 liggy’s firmware and have been able to sucessfully set the book type for +R discs on over 300 discs. However, after burning IMGBurn is still showing DVD +R DL for booktype. Booktype is already set from the firmware to set DVD-ROM for DVD +R DL discs. Actually I think this drive comes from the factory to set DVD +R DL’s to DVD-ROM. BTW, the discs i’ve used are the Verbatim +R DL and some Ritek +R DL’s.

What’s wrong here?
thanks.

Here is a printout from IMGBurn on a disc i’ve already tried.

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG 2.18 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 3,652,848
Size: 7,481,032,704 bytes
Time: 811:46:48 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x

DVD±R DL Boundary Information:
L0 Data Zone Capacity: 1,904,688
Changeable: No

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: MKM-001-00
Book Type: DVD+R DL
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: MKM-001-00
Book Type: DVD+R DL
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,424,079
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,101,295

Layer Information:
Layer 0 Sectors: 1,904,688 (52.14%)
Layer 1 Sectors: 1,748,160 (47.86%)

Did you use binflash to set the DL booktype of your 3500 first?

I use 2.TG f/w and set booktype with Binflash GUI 1.17, burned over 20 DL discs, most of them Verbatim and some burned with IMG Burn 2.1.0.0, all report DVD-ROM as booktype!

Also, I think the 3500 will report +R DL and not DVD-ROM, even if the booktype is correctly set to DVD-ROM on the disc. I found this out by using my DVD ROM drive to read back a disc in CDSPEED 2000, it showed DVD-ROM for Disc type, put the same disc in my 3500 and it shows DVD+R DL.

You have to set your CDSpeed to read CD-ROM instead of DVD+R then you can see your burnt disc is DVD-ROM.

I just downloaded CDSPEED 4.7.0.0 and its showing the disc as DVD +R DL, not DVD-ROM. I did use binflash to set both +R and +R DL to be set to DVD-ROM, but for some reason its not setting to DVD-ROM.

ON you CD Speed program Click on file , click on option and checked the box book type see the attachment.

If changing the setting in CD-DVD Speed doesn’t show it as DVD-ROM try checking the setting in ImgBurn. Maybe that’s not setting it to DVD-ROM or setting it back to DVD+R.

Try downloading Binflash and see if booktype really is set to DVD-ROM!

Binflash is set to DVD-ROM for both +R and +R DL discs, see attachment.

Also, I’m attaching the image for the setting in IMGburn. Looks like everything is set correctly. I have no problem with the drive setting the booktype for +R discs to DVD-ROM, but its only the DL’s that are giving me trouble.

I never altered anything in Imgburn or any other burning program. I just used binflash to set booktype and it’s burned DVD-ROM ever since!

In CD-DVD SPEED, put the DL disc you burned with Imgburn in your 3500 and check the Disc Info TAB, it should report DVD-ROM for booktype, if not then ‘something’ is not right with your system!!

My 3500 shows Disc Type as DVD+R DL in the Benchmark TAB, but booktype as DVD-ROM in the Disc Info TAB!

That’s what I did up until now. I just set with binflash once, and recorded around 300 +R discs with the booktype set to DVD-ROM.

Here is what DVD speed shows on the burnt disc. It shows DVD +R DL for booktype on the 3500 and on my laptop DVD/RW drive as well. I selected the drive to show “Booktype” from the options menu.

Could it be the 2.18 firmware? Is there a known problem with this firmware?

Some drives report the booktype wrong, but you already tested in 2 drives…

You’re not running anything like AnyDVD in the background? Something must be interfering with the booktype. You could check your running processes and see if you can spot something, might not be that obvious though.

Try updating the f/w (after saving the current one to a backup file) then see what the booktype is set to in binflash.

@F50, I too had a problem with the 2.18 bitsetting firmware on my 3500 with Verbatim DVD+R DL media. I posted about it over a year ago, but didn’t get any where. I’ll be curious to see if you get the problem resolved.

Webjunkie,

I actually have AnyDVD running in the background. I’ve been able to set the booktype for +R discs without having to disable AnyDVD. However, I’ll have to try it again with AnyDVD off now.

Pudah,

Did you ever try updating your firmware and try burning the DL DVD again? I’m going to try that. Does anyone know if it is possible to know before hand what the drive will set the booktype to without actually burning the disc? I just don’t want to keep wasting the DL discs.

thanks.

If you update the f/w the drive should still keep the bitsetting, best check with binflash after updating to be sure! I’ve flashed a few f/w’s and gone back to 2.TG and never had to reset the booktype.

2.18 is OLD f/w anyway (about 2 years!) this alone could be the reason! As stated I have used Liggy/Dee 2.TG (based on official 2.1a) for over 1 year now without any problems using Verbatims, so try updating to this f/w and see what binflash says the booktype is set to.

Just because I have had no problems with my 3500 is no help to you though, so we have to find the ‘something’ causing the problem and disabling ANY program related to burning/DVD backup is the first thing to do, once that is done it’s time to check the booktype again and try a DL burn with IMGBURN.

Also note I have set NOTHING in IMGBURN regards booktype, but if I check the booktype for DVD+R DL it reports it is set to DVD-ROM.

I think I updated to firmware 2.1a but I was too much of a wimp to risk wasting another DL disc when I never got much in the way of responses to my questions about the problem. The NEC has been out of my PC for a while now, but if I get some time over the holidays, I may put it back in and give it another go.