NEC 3500A dvd drive install?

vbimport

I just ordered the NEC3500A dvd drive for my Dell 8250. I currently have a DVD drive and a CDRW drive. Can somebody show me (the easiest way) on how to install this device correctly. I keep reading on Master,Slave settings, and that kind of worries me about this project. I have no idea on what these settings mean. Can anyone show me the easiest way to get this done.

thanks guys.

Yes :slight_smile:
CLICK Here ccubsnumberone

I thought the same thing. I replaced my old CD burner with te DVD burner. I literally just took out my old one and put the cords in exactly as they were with the CD burner. Just look at the setting on your second drive and see if the setting is Master, Slave, and there is another one which I forget but that third one was the one mine was. Once you do that you are all set. It is quite easy, trust me. If I can do it anyone can.

Yo-

Scott was right on with his views-

Just to add to it - suggest that you set your existing DVD drive at the end of the cable and Jumper to “master” - set your new 3500 on the middle connection and set jumper to “slave” - test and be sure that both drives are recognised in control panel - devices - check to be sure that the DMA is turned on - and then put your 'puters cover back on and you are good to go-

Happy Burnin’

Mike

Hey Yo Mike… Happy New Year Brother and to all else out here. Like I have discussed with Mike before and from what I just read on the thread that coathi gave “quote” ( I have yet to jumper a CD-ROM as chip select, but some motherboards/computers may require it) , a friend of mine has a Dell and it was configured as cable or chip select. The damn thing didn’t want to fly any other way so I installed his new drive this way. All was and still is good. My HP and his Dell seem to be flakey this way. And from what I’ve been reading as of late, were not alone. Just wanted to mention it in the event you have trbl. with the what I would call the normal way of connecting. Master and Slave instead of CS. Try that first but don’t be affraid to set it up in CS if you have trbl or if thats the way it was to start.

Mark

Hey Big Mike…

How do I go about doing this?

"Just to add to it - suggest that you set your existing DVD drive at the end of the cable and Jumper to “master” - set your new 3500 on the middle connection and set jumper to “slave”

So I take it as I will want to keep my current DVD drive (top bay) and replace my CDRW with the NEC (bottom bay) is that correct?

Hey ccubsnumberone…

Mike’s probably still sleeping as he’s out west in Cal. but as long as your jumpers on the back of the drive are the same as the drive you replace, you’ll be OK.

Mark

Yo-

Yup - that about sums it up-

Mike

What is the difference in the + - DVD’s? If you were going to a local department store what brand would you get?

thanks

Yo-

I have two 3500’s and use 8x -R media in Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Maxell brands - all with very good results in burning copies of my DVD movies-

Mike

Figured so. :bigsmile:

FUJI, TDK, Maxcell, if made in Japan. Or Verbatim