NEC 3500A and CD AUDIO

Hello,

I just got my new NEC 3500A and tried to burn an audio CD with Windows Media Player 9.
I used 32X CD-R made by Jensen.

The cd plays perfectly on my pc. however when I try to play the cd in my stereo cd player (well it’s actually Panasonic DVD player), the player cannot read the cd.

I’ve been using the same CD’s with my previous LiteOn cd burner (24X) without any issue.

I tried to burn a couple of cd’s, but still the same problem.

I’m using Windows XP with SP2.
My motherboard is SOYO DrugonPlus! KT-266
AMD 1700+
1GB DDR memory

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Eyal

Ack WMP9 :Z

Have you tried burning with something else?
Try Nero or Exact Audio Copy :wink:

Also can you please post the media information?
Use CD-DVD Speed -> Extra -> Disc Info or
Smart Burn media identifier.

Yo-

Just installed Exact Audio Copy after Nero 6.6.0.1 failed to copy the disc-

Turned out flawless and plays in my cars CD player-

Life is good-

Mike

Sorry to disapoint you… but it’s still doesn’t work. I tried burning in various speeds (16X - 48X) but I get the same result.

I am wondering, my DVD player is about 4.5 years old. do I need to set anything for burning the CD in some kind of old way ?

Also, the file I’m trying to burn is 757,693 KB. Could it be that the NEC 3500AG overburn the CD but my DVD player doesn’t recognize such CD’s ?

Below is the info from NERO. I thought this drive supose to read/write 48X but it seems like it is limited to 32X or does it refer to the speed I burned the CD at?

Thanks

Eyal

Nero InfoTool 2.27

Drive Information

Drive : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : 2.16
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : 48LC256S111
Vendor Specific : 04072300
Drive Letter : W:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 32 , 24 , 20 , 16 , 10 , 8 , 4 X
Write Speed : 32 , 24 , 16 , 8 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC I
Region : All
Changes User
Changes Vendor

I’ve burned audio CDs with my 3500 with mixed results. The discs I used were Sony 48X, but the 3500 allowed up to 32X. Seeing that my LG 4480 coughs at these discs above 24X, this is reasonable. Anyhow, the CDs seem to work just about flawlessly except in one of my players, an ancient (10 years+) Panasonic portable which will play the CDs, but have difficulty starting the first few tracks. That being said…

Here’s an odd phenomena I’ve discovered with both my LG and NEC using these Sony discs. The first week or so after burning a CD it doesn’t necessarily work perfectly. For example, one CD would skip repeatedly in my friend’s RL until track > 5. Another CD would skip in my Alpine the last few tracks. And my old portable and new portable would either skip or refuse to start some tracks. These symptoms would disappear after time, say a week or two, and the CDs would work as well as one could wish. Is there a sane explanation to this, or am I battling superstitious pigeon syndrome?

Yo-

Audio CD’s work best if burned at 16x or less-

Seems that cd players - especially in cars - don’t respond well to Audio CD’s burned at higher rates for some reason-

Mike

Not necessarily true for all CD-Rs, but for marginal quality CD-R discs it does usually help to burn at a lower speed (16X).
Excellent quality CD-Rs such as Taiyo Yuden will usually work fine as audio discs when burned at higher speeds.
In reference to the particular discs (SONY) that lubs has mentioned, which are actually made by Lead Data, I have also noticed that these discs need to be burned at lower speeds in order to function properly as an Audio disc.

@eyalkattan , are you sure your DVD player supports Audio CD-Rs? not all players do!
On top of that, even some dvd players that DO support Audio CD-Rs are very picky and will only be compatible with certain CD-R media!

Yep, since I tested the same CD’s burned with my old CD-RW at 24X. I did try to burn 16X with the nec but it didn’t work either. I will try to burn at 12X but that’s kind of frustrating…

Thanks

Eyal

Maybe you can try 16x and 8x , post your result.

:slight_smile: Seems old problems are debated here:
At what burn speed are Audio CD 100% perfect?
For myself and others CD-Players I usualy burn at 2x speed an audio cd!
Of course that’s for my old Teac CD-RW 8X. For newer with speed of 52X could be an 8X for audio without any problems.

The media used could also be an impediment! I have find some true garbage Datace, speaking of audio cd.
So when I heard of 16x burning or more I’m always :bigsmile: Be sure your data is instable over time.