It could be a driver conflict, it could be different software, or a host of other problems.
1. Uninstall the cd/dvd devices in device manager.
2. Uninstall the IDE devices in device manager.
3. Make sure that your Hard drive and DVD burner are on seperate cables.
4. Make sure that you don't have Sonic DLA installed on the PC
5. Make sure that after you reboot, that the DVD device is showing as in DMA or UDMA mode.
6. If problem still persists, try replacing the IDE cable.
If none of those resolve the problem, post back here.