Nec 3500, fw 2.18 -> fw 2.28? second time

vbimport

can nec 3500 fw 2.18 be flashed with 2.28 firmware, or maddog firmware, or any else firmware diffefent than 2.18 and it’s variations?

4 acko: please, do not close my thread. of course that i read all of FAQ-s that i finded, but i didn’t find explicite answer to my question. if U mean that this is answer:

quote:

Q: What is Crossflashing?
A: Crossflashing is a term used for turning a drive model into another.
This could be simply flashing an OEM firmware onto a drive. In this case the only thing that changes is the drive string (how the drive is identified in Windows)
Another way of crossflashing is used for upgrading an older drive to a newer drive.
Below is a short list of which drives can and can’t be upgraded using the crossflash method.

quote off

that is not good explanation to me. sorry, but i have not so much money to buy new recorder if somethings bad go on while flashing. so, i allways want to know exactly what is possible, and what is not.

thanks!

Acko probably was not the one who closed your first thread. He’s neither a moderator, nor an administrator.

[/QUOTE]Q: What is Crossflashing?
A: Crossflashing is a term used for turning a drive model into another.
This could be simply flashing an OEM firmware onto a drive. In this case the only thing that changes is the drive string (how the drive is identified in Windows)
Another way of crossflashing is used for upgrading an older drive to a newer drive.
Below is a short list of which drives can and can’t be upgraded using the crossflash method.

that is not good explanation to me.[/QUOTE]
It’s the best explanation we can give at the moment. If you would have read some more threads, you knew what exactly this means.

sorry, but i have not so much money to buy new recorder if somethings bad go on while flashing. so, i allways want to know exactly what is possible, and what is not.

If you don’t want to risk losing your drive, you should not flash at all. There is always a slight risk when flashing, that your drive will not work afterwards.

But to make it short, updating from 2.18 to 2.28 should work without ruining your drive. But it’s nothing anyone here can assure you, since it also depends on your specific hard- and software.

about crossflashing-i read allmost one hour online searching this forum, and few other. but i can not find no one explicit answer that says "u can flash fw2.18 with 4example “maddog 2F9"”. i’m using yours fw, it is good, but bitsetting does not works. and that is only reason to upgrade firmware - to activate bitsetting.

quote:
If you don’t want to risk losing your drive, you should not flash at all. There is always a slight risk when flashing, that your drive will not work afterwards.

But to make it short, updating from 2.18 to 2.28 should work without ruining your drive. But it’s nothing anyone here can assure you, since it also depends on your specific hard- and software.

i know what risks are during flashing, but that is something else-power lose, pc block, or something simillar.
my “problem” is are this firmwares compatible. nothing else.

thanks!

regards

I don’t understand why anyone would want to ‘update’ from 2.18 to 2.28. According to the firmware page of Michel de Boer, they use the same write strategies. If you need booktype setting, the SE edition would be a better choice AFAIK.

i’m using 2.18SE by Liggy, but bitsetting doesn’t work.

Yes, you are right. The correct firmware for bitsetting is not Liggy SE but 2.18tprc1 (also by Liggy). My bad.

doesn’t this version remove riplock as well? I really don’t understand the whole concept of riplock…is it the time it takes to convert a dvd into vob files into your hard drive?

Riplock is a way to annoy people who like to make backup copies of their dvd movies by limiting the read speed for dvd’s with vobs on. So yes, you are right.

2.18 Liggy SE was not written by me! Don’t know who exactly wrote this firmware, but they probably based it on my my 2.18btrpc1

is there final version, or this beta is working good?

@Liggy: Sorry to hear they used your name for that one, but thanks for 2.18btrpc1, it seems to have everything I need! I’m passing on all the betas for now, too much work keeping track :slight_smile:

@viking_software: I don’t think 2.18btrpc1 is a beta (Liggy will no doubt correct me if I’m wrong), just a modified version of the official 2.18. As far as I can tell, it works just fine.

@viking_software: I don’t think 2.18btrpc1 is a beta (Liggy will no doubt correct me if I’m wrong), just a modified version of the official 2.18. As far as I can tell, it works just fine.[/QUOTE]

i don’t know. when i dl file form michael’s site, in explanation was written:

218btrpc1.rar

NEC-ND3500A 2.18 including bitsetting support for SL DVD+R and DVD+RW (from Mad Dog 2.FA), RPC1 & Riplock Removed. BETA Firmware! (NEW 15-11-2004)

so, is there two different files with same name, or then that fw was beta, i don’t know.

I wouldn’t call it a beta firmware. This firmware seems to work just as expected, using MadDogs bitsetting code in NEC’s 2.18 firmware. Every patched firmware is some kind of beta/test firmware, but this firmware has not caused trouble so far, so I wouldn’t call it beta anymore.

i’ll try it. until today, i was using SE, but, U said that is not uour fw. i’m goin to upgrade it tomorrow.

regards!