NEC 3500 DVD Backup?

Ok , Ive just finished building my new PC last night. I now need to know how to Backup my DVD collection. I have a single NEC 3500 Drive and no software or firmware upgrades. I am using it to run software on the PC and XP seems to recognise it. I was thinking about Nero but dont know what software is best for backing up my films. Any advice to get me started is appreciated. I can come back later when i start to hit technical snags.

Have a look at the guides section for some very good guides on different programs…
I use anydvd\clonedvd but a lot of people use dvd decryptor and dvdshrink (both free and just as good)

Had a look at the guides. Wernt much help at all really. Infact none at all. All I want is software to copy a DVD to hard drive and then back to DVD. Tryed Clone CD but it takes toooooooooooooooooooooooo much time analising disk. Something’s wrong with it or with it or my DVD I guess. I need advice. Not a link to some crappy tutorials which dont even cover my topic !

Not really the best attitude to have if you need help.
There is a guide to backing up DVD movies to DVD+r and DVD-R by Chickenman, not exactly what I would call “crappy”, and it certainly does cover your topic!

Also suggested was DVDshrink and DVDdecrypter, both are excellent and easy to use. How about trying things as suggested? If you don’t want to take any notice of advice, I suggest you don’t ask for it, and it is far nicer and friendlier to thank someone who tries to help rather than moan (IMHO of course)!

Cant argue with that if you dont want help Highlander2004 then dont ask…

The default firmware on the NEC 3500A is rip-locked. This will limit the reading speed. There are modified/hacked firmwares that can remove this limitation. A large amount of info can be found in the CDFreaks NEC Forum.

Good Luck!

Rip locked ? Whats that mean. Ive been lead to believe thet this was a good drive for burning cd/s and dvd’s fast and reliably :frowning: without too much fuss. Is there something ive missed when building the system and installing the OS ?

Rip locked quite simply means the firmware limits the maximum reading speed of movie DVDs. That means it will take longer to read a movie disk that a drive that is not rip locked. You would need to use a hacked unofficial firmware to be able to read these disks at full speed.

Ahh Thats not what im experiancing . I tryed to backup a game cd using clone cd and it just anylises forever. It never goes above 1%. I left the PC to do its stuff and when i came back 20 mins later the only thing that had changed was the time displayed. Its damdable. In Nero 5.5.9.23 the CD/DVD drive is recognised but the destination drive , ie the HD is unavailable. The only option is an Image and that dont work either. REMEMBER ive ONLY JUST INSTALLED XP FOR THE FIRST TIME . and i suspect maybe its not set up right and that whatever ive missed is whats causing the problems with nero and clone cd. The drive does appear in the Control Panel so i assumed it was ok.

First things first. Update the firmware on your drive…UPDATE Nero…
Then try to rip and burn a DVD. Report back and if you still need help there are a lot of forum folks with a lot of good advice that are more than willing to help.

Ok Ive updated Nero now to version 6.0.0.0. Im not even going to attempt the firmware as i have no idea what the Fcuk im doing and have read that if this is the case you run the risk of wrecking your cd/dvd drive. Also is there any sort of basic manual or tutorial on Nero whaich can help an idiot like me?

A lot of the solutions on the forums are difficult for me, and other novice users i presume , to understand due to the lack of precise explanations and over use of jargon/terms which i dont understand.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS BACKUP GAME CD’s USING NERO. I ONLY HAVE ONE CD?DVD DRIVE SO I IMAGINE I HAVE TO BURN AN IMAGE.ISO TO THE HARDDRIVE AND THEN BACK TO A BLANK CD.

How do i do this?Please. Ive been trying to get a resolution to this all week and im getting mightily frustrated by the whole thing. Someone please help.

The initial nero 6.0.0.0 is buggy, I would recommend using 6.3.1.25 or the new 6.6.0.1

Other than that advise, I cannot help, as I have never tried to back up a game.

Good Luck

I’m not sure what to make of this.
It seems that you have gone from backing up a DVD (which everyone assumed was a movie) to backing up a game CD.
First you wanted to know how to backup your DVD Collection, now that has changed to

ALL I WANT TO DO IS BACKUP GAME CD’s USING NERO. I ONLY HAVE ONE CD?DVD DRIVE SO I IMAGINE I HAVE TO BURN AN IMAGE.ISO TO THE HARDDRIVE AND THEN BACK TO A BLANK CD.

I’m totally confused here.
It’s difficult for us to make the appropriate recommendations when we cannot assertain your needs.

CloneCD cannot copy DVDs.

If you are attempting to copy a GAME CD then it is possible that the CD is copy protected and you may be experiencing the effects of the copy protection scheme that was employed (there are many). In order to succesfully back up a game CD you must first determine which copy protection scheme is being used and then concentrate your efforts on the methods available to successfully defeat that scheme.

You will also come to learn that making a successful game CD backup is largely hardware dependent. Some drives can do it and others cannot. DVD drives in general are not suited for copy protected game CD backups.

Software such a Alcohol 120% is also more suited to successfully backup the latest copy protection scheme. CloneCD by default has a single game CD profile which may not be specific in addressing some copy protection schemes.

There is a lot more to copying a protected game CD than meets the eye.

Identify Copy Protection, Helpful Hints

Copy Protection Discussion Forum