Nec 2510A's tray - real 2510A or it's an 2500A

vbimport

I have bought this burner (OEM) yesterday.
On tray stays:
DVD R/RW, RW DVD+ReWritable. Compact Disc Re-Writable Ultra Speed.

I just saw an other NEC ND-2510A. On tray stays:
DVD R/RW, RW DVD+R DL, Compact Disc Re-Writable Ultra Speed.

What is the difference, maybe the second drive comes in retail box and has different writings on tray (DVD+R DL) instead of DVD+ReWritable (OEM)?

Regards! :bow:

My OEM from ebuyer says DVD R/RW, RW DVD+R DL, Compact Disc Re-Writable Ultra Speed

All 2510 real drive (OEM and retail) has the +R9 DL logo on the tray instead of the +RW Alliance classic logo… so it seems that your drive is a rebadged 2500 with a 2510 flashed firmware. Look at the label on the top of the burner.

I just got mine from NewEgg yesterday and it has a ND-2510A sticker on it and was Manufactured in June 2004. Mine also doesn’t say DL on the tray but it is not a 2500A with 2510A firmware. I think it depends where it was made. Mine say’s made in China. Maybe those that are made in Malaysia have the DL on the tray. If your sticker on top say’s it is a ND-2510A then that’s what you have. It works great by the way, no issues with DVD’s or CD’s, writing or reading.

theres no physical difference between the 2500 and the 2510 so either way you have the same drive.

The label says 2510A, may 2004.

its a 2510 then they prolly just used up the old trays from the 2500 line before they started restamping dl on them…like i said before other than labeling and firmware there is no difference between the 2500 and 2510.

If the hardware is same then the 2510A stays, I don’t send it back.

This is incorrect. Many beige ND-2510A drives went out with the DVD+RW logo showing “Re-Writeable” instead of “DVD+R DL”.

Hi Jamos,
I’ve read what CD sages like you, Wes and others have written and I believe it…I just wonder your take on this: some have argued that the optical on the 2500may well do DL on fw flash, but that some actually still don’t, for whatever reason…
IS there a reason why some don’t do DL upon flashing? Is it known that truly some don’t? Or there’s absolutely nothing that should prevent a 2500 from doing DL…
just wondering “the final word”// :wink:
thanks for your wisdom :bow:

I have not seen one ‘competent’ reliable person that I can trust post a report that a 2500A DL burn does not work after a hacked firmware flash.

here is my guess… no matter what companies say they don’t make 2 levels of quality for the same hardware.

since the nec 2500 controller (not sure what the chipset is) allows DL support all they have to do is enable it to move from an 8x ± drive to a 8x ± DL drive.

this is the same for booktyping – they enable it for OEMs that request/require it but don’t do it otherwise… surely no one believes that nec makes different hardware to enable that for the hp drives?

time will tell… having seen the dual layer discs at best buy in a kit (1 +DL disc 8 SL +R and 1 SL +rw) for 14.00 i am not looking to waste money on DL anytime in the forseeable future and when i do if this drive doesn’t do it i will buy the best then available for the least amount of money…

but for now i have about 600 blank dvd + or - discs to burn first.

I don’t think its a matter of making two levels of quality; its how optimized or tuned something is.

The NuTech DDW-081/-082 drive is a good example.

NuTech shipped the DDW-081 drive as DVD+R only. Then they released a beta firmware (marked with the DDW-082 model number) for the drive that supported DVD-R as well. A lot of people couldn’t get it to work reliably. Others had no problems with it.

Then NuTech released the DDW-082 drive which supported both DVD-R and DVD+R. Except that its the same drive as the DDW-081. So why can some write DVD-R fine, and others not well at all?

A NuTech employee said that NuTech would only support DVD-R on retail DDW-082 drives because drives that became marked as DDW-082 were hand-picked because they could handle DVD-R media without problems. Those that had problems were marked as DDW-081. People could use the beta firmware and if it worked for them, great. If not, oh well.

Seems very analgous to this situation. Sure, there are no physical hardware differences between the ND-2500A and the ND-2510A, but that doesn’t guarantee that all ND-2500A drives can write DL media without problems. Considering how little testing has been done and how few people have posted their experiences with DL media, it seems odd that anyone feels qualified to say “yup, they’ll all work fine.”

Oh, and I forgot to reference AMD. :slight_smile:

With the Athlon 64 processors, AMD introduced a new process for putting 1 MB L2 cache on the processor. Except they had problems with the process and a lot of the chips had memory problems. So AMD disabled half the memory and marked it as a lower chip.

That’s why the 3000+ and 3200+ run at the same speeds, but just have different memory sizes. The 3000+ started off as the ones where the L2 cache had to be partially disabled.

Not quite the same thing there, but something relevant.

that’s not what i was saying. the debate started because NEC has said that it WON’T work and that appears not to be the case.

with liteon for instance you can take some of their drives up 2 levels… from a 4x +r (401) only drive to a 4x +r -r drive (411) to an 8x +r 4x-r drive (811). their 812 single layer drive already has an upgrade to the dual layer 832.

Will all of them do it? No, but with your NU example what i would say to you is that likely one of 2 situations occurred.

1. there was a hardware change late in the 081 run in preparation to graduating to the 082 which is why some but not all work.

OR and this is far less likely

1. the changes to do -r meant that quality control had to be raised much higher so a lot of the drives that got thru as +r drives wouldn’t make the grade as + - drives. <-- unless NU drives have bad quality i highly doubt this scenario.

oh i wish you wouldn’t have because now i have all these AMD putdowns running thru my head… suffice it to say that the #2 scenario is absolutely the case with AMD. i worked for ####### for a long time and during that time we sold some AMD systems.

they were completely AMD from the MBD to the power supply were spec’d by AMD so we could get them out to compete in a very short amount of time because Dell had a deal with Intel to limit what they sold to us and h-paq for christmas that year so DELL would again kill us in sales.

the first customer issue i dealt with on those AMD systems (fully spec’d with AMD selected (power supply) and Fab’d (mbd and proc) was that a processor and CPU SOCKET had fallen off the MBD. that was the first call on a saturday morning… by the time i went home i had talked to at least 10 more customers that had the same problem.

we had to send the motherboards back to AMD and have them redo the soldering on EVERY one of them. during the time we sold AMD their quality never approached (in my opinion) INTEL but people like them because were cheap and OC-able

I don’t recall them saying it doesn’t work. There was this translation of an FAQ page that is up on their German site:
Is it really possible to apply a firmware update to make the ND-2500A double layer capable?

In principle this is possible and in several cases this can be done without any problem. This is because the internals of both the ND-2500 and the ND-2510 drives are practically the same. Nevertheless NEC does warn explicitly not to apply the firmware updates that can be found on the internet.

Why does NEC warn to not load unofficially released firmware updates?

There is a possibility that if the unofficial firmware is not properly applied that it damages the hardware. This will void your warranty and NEC will no longer give support on your drive.

Why doesn’t NEC release an official firmware to make an update for double layer possible?

For writing a DVD+R DL disc, the laser optical head needs to be adjusted very carefully and precisely. This must be done during the manufacturing process of the device and is not possible afterwards. Therefore, it’s not possible to guarantee that a ND-2500 drive will write to double layer media.

Okay, we’ll skip the AMD bashing. :wink:

I was just pointing out that having two levels of quality is not an uncommon practice.