NEC 2510A won't burn RITEK R03 at 8x after flashing

I’m a newbie with DVD burning in general. I recently bought some Ritek R03 8x media, but using Nero 6 it will only give me the option of burning it at 4x max. I found the 2510FAST.BIN version 2.15 firmware from The Dangerous Brothers, which is what I believe I should flash my DVD drive with in order to change this speed limit to 8x. But after I flashed the drive I can still only burn at 4x. Is there something I’m not doing right or missing, or a different firmware I should be using?

Like in the firmware notes there is a mention of a VIDEO_TS directory, I have no clue what that is, or if I have to do anything with it.

from what i understand TDM firmwares do not have speedups in them… herrie’s firmwares do.

please check the NEC firmware and modding links at the top of the forum

It seems all of Herrie’s firmwares are for 2500A, not 2510A. Will flashing 1.06 or 1.07v2 beta5 firmware mess anything up for the 2510A?

The only issue if you use Herrie’s 1.07v2b5 firmware with your ND-2510A is that it’ll be recognized as an ND-2500A drive. No change in the dual-layer capability and you get all the media speedups. I believe a number of ND-2510A users in the forum are already using the 1.07v2b5 firmware with no problems at all. :slight_smile:

The only issue if you use Herrie’s 1.07v2b5 firmware with your ND-2510A is that it’ll be recognized as an ND-2500A drive. No change in the dual-layer capability and you get all the media speedups. I believe a number of ND-2510A users in the forum are already using the 1.07v2b5 firmware with no problems at all.

I have a NEC 2510a with Herrie’s 1.07v2b5 firmware. As said above it now shows as a 2500A but it works very well for me, burning Ritek G03 and G05 at 8X without any problems.

You’ll need to use DOS to FLASH it though as the 2510a can’t be flashed from windows with this firmware.

Hi all, I am new to the forums. I have been reading through a lot of the stuff here and plan to try this upgrade (or should I say downgrade) to the firmware. I have a NEC 2510A, running stock firmware (when I get home Im gonna get more info about it). I also plan to check the discs I am using to see what code they are because I know they are RiTek 8X DVD-R from newegg, but not sure what their ‘code’ is. Anyways I am having the same problem as described above. When I load Nero or DVD Decryptor it is saying my burners max speed is only 8x. I checked in device manager and it says I have a NEC2510A, so im sure i didnt get ripped off, especially from newegg. Anyways Im hoping to resolve this when I get home. Just like to say I think these forums have been very helpful thus far.