NEC 2510A (USB version) installation error... please help!

I’m in a big rut with my laptop. I have a Toshiba Satellite and, like others, the CD/DVD drive went on me. I bought a NEC 1210A USB external drive to have it fill in for that loss. However, I am running into a big problem.

I turn it on, it says Found New Hardware “USB 2.0 Storage Device” and then changes to “USB Mass Storage Device”. I only have USB 1.1 on my laptop (I will be upgrading via PCMCIA cardbus). Of course a message comes up that “the device can perform faster”. I ignore it and then I get an error that states that the hardware is working incorrectly. I cannot read the installation CD-ROM to start the installation in the first place. I just shelled out $100 and I’m really frustrated, can anyone help? Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

what kind of OS do you have?

Thanks for the reply therockscott.

My OS is Microsoft Windows XP (home edition)

bump :frowning:

Am I the only one who has ever had a problem with a USB NEC recorder?

Have you tried to install the burner on another laptop or PC and if so, what was the result?

Hi ScorpioSoft, I tried installing the NEC on my dad’s laptop with no luck either. Still says the same thing: “the device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed”

Maybe it’s time to go back to the shop were you bought the drive.

Chris ,

I am using NEC 2510A via Flexy USB 2.0 Enclousure without any problems.

But make sure you use USB 2.0 Bus for this thing otherwise it cant perform as expected of course.

and make sure the device you connect to an usb bus provides the necessary power for the device you plug in.(at most 500mA can be provided without additional power support)

if the device you plugin needs more than 500mA then you have to use self powered USB hub.

thats what i think about the situation.