NEC 2510a stopped reading and burning DVD's

vbimport

2 days ago my Nec 2510a stopped recognizing and or burn DVD’s. It will not recognize Original or copied DVD’s. It will still read CD’s. I’ve had it for 1 year.
The firmware is 2.06. Any suggestions on my problem? I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled it but still no luck

cd and dvd subsystems are discrete as well as reading and burning functions. you may have a failed laser or you may just have some dust covering the laser. may want to run a cleaning disc through it since you really don’t have much to lose at this point

Cleaned lens but still doesn’t recognize any DVD; can’t burn
Any more tips will be greatly appreciated

Have you tried updating the firmware?
Official NEC DVD Firmware Downloads

You could also tried some hacked firmwares, but best to try the official NEC ones first.

Let me know if this solves your problem. I’ve got a friend with a Dell version of the NEC ND-2100AD that has the same problem…he hasn’t tried the firmware update until he knows for sure…tried to convince him that he’s got nothing to lose but he wants proof.

i guess it were me i would want to make sure that it was a drive problem by trying to boot to a cd or dvd if you have bootable disc or getting a win98 bootdisk and trying to access the drive in dos to see if it can read… otherwise 3540’s are on sale at newegg for 39.99 last i looked

Thankd for your help guys. I do have 2.06 firmware installed which is hacked. What firmware should I next try?

The latest official is what I would recommend.
But the better idea is to test the drive in another computer FIRST.