Nec 2500a

Well, I’m going to buy this product, though I’m unfamiliar with somethings.

I just wanted to know, if NEC is as godly as I suppose it is :wink:

Now, I’m a bit confused, because in a lot of places they write the description mistakenly, they say that it writes on 2x -RW and 4x on +RW and in those places I don’t see any “A”, is this somehow related? is this only a mistake at writting?

Another thing, lets say I buy mistakenly the “old version” of this product, I’ve heard, that since January 04 it comes with new firmware, so, the difference is only but ONLY the firmware? with no absolute changes?

Btw, could anyone recommend me about a good 8x media for NEC?

The drive is good but the NEC support is the worst on the planet.

2500 = 2500a, some people just leave off the a.
If the specification is listed as 2x DVD-RW for the 2500A, then the website is wrong.
If you purchase a 2500a now you will most likely have the newest firmware loaded on it, however you can always update the firmware using one off of Herrie’s site: www.herrie.org
Recommended media to write at 8x = Taiyo Yuden DVD+R or DVD-R
I also recommend that you read OC-Freaks’ review: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/134/

One more thing, LiteOn firmware support isn’t fabulous either to put it mildly…

At least NEC ships its drives with the latest firwmare and hacked firmwares are pretty widely available these days. My experience with LiteOn firmwares is that the updates are rarely a real improvement (one fix, one new problem and so on…)

Just wanted to let you know that buying a LiteOn drive is no guarantee for problem-free DVD burning either.

My advice is: go with the NEC, I prefer it over LiteOn (dead 811s…)

Originally posted by FoxBat
[B]One more thing, LiteOn firmware support isn’t fabulous either to put it mildly…

At least NEC ships its drives with the latest firwmare and hacked firmwares are pretty widely available these days. My experience with LiteOn firmwares is that the updates are rarely a real improvement (one fix, one new problem and so on…)[/B]

LOL, good point FoxBat. The LiteOn firmwares have been quite puzzlesome… where FS0F/HS0E have been best for DVD-R and FS0H/HS0K have been best for DVD+R.

As far as NEC firmwares are concerned… They are slow but a new one will come. It’s a good thing we have Herrie and TDB :iagree:

[B]Just wanted to let you know that buying a LiteOn drive is no guarantee for problem-free DVD burning either.

My advice is: go with the NEC, I prefer it over LiteOn (dead 811s…) [/B]

Buying ANY drive is no guarantee for a problem free burner. :wink:

I have already read NEC’s article, it “strengthen” my will to buy it, though I have not fully understand it, I’m completely new at this etc…

I’ve also read the comparison with LiteOn.

Yup, I’m absolutely sure I will buy the new one(with the new firmware), although, my dad wants me to wait till I could verify that. We’re waiting for this product to get some warehouse, it will take awhile, unfortunately. I don’t think my father would listen me, he will think I’m too reckless on buying it. Once again, the difference is only the firmware, right?

Btw, it is kind of funny, however, is there any site with photos and\or videos of assembling the DVD Writer.

I have NO experience, although it looks easy. I just assemble it at the extra spot, but, I don’t know where to connect electric wire or the hell it will be… I have absolutely no idea how it goes

Originally posted by wesociety
[B]LOL, good point FoxBat. The LiteOn firmwares have been quite puzzlesome… where FS0F/HS0E have been best for DVD-R and FS0H/HS0K have been best for DVD+R.

As far as NEC firmwares are concerned… They are slow but a new one will come. It’s a good thing we have Herrie and TDB :iagree:

Buying ANY drive is no guarantee for a problem free burner. :wink: [/B]

You sure got that right wesociety!! :smiley:

At least NEC ships its drives with the latest firwmare

But the latest version of the 1.06 firmware is reportedly crap. I am glad mine came with the original 1.06.

Originally posted by I Have Piles
The drive is good but the NEC support is the worst on the planet.

There isn’t any support because the NEC is an OEM drive, intended for release to system builders who would provide the intended support, not NEC.

The NEC is a decent drive, but to buy one in OEM packaging (as opposed to buying them in retail kits by Pacific Digital for example) is tantamount to agreeing you will support yourself.

LOL and you think support from pacific digital is any better? I got one at office max for 19 after rebate and i called PD to see if they had a firmware to fix the problems with ritek media and they to me to look http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php for firmware updates.

PD support is only to replace the drive if the hardware is bad as far as them making there own firmware or relasing updates for it is a joke right ?

Originally posted by dolmar
[B]LOL and you think support from pacific digital is any better? I got one at office max for 19 after rebate and i called PD to see if they had a firmware to fix the problems with ritek media and they to me to look http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php for firmware updates.

PD support is only to replace the drive if the hardware is bad as far as them making there own firmware or relasing updates for it is a joke right ? [/B]

:eek: I can’t believe they directed you to an ‘unofficial’ site for a firmware update. :confused:
PD doesn’t make drives, they are only resellers. Of course they are not going to make firmware. PD is at the mercy of NEC for firmware updates. IF PD was to pressure NEC for an update, I’m sure it would help…

to look http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php for firmware updates

At least they’re giving good advice. That’s where you SHOULD go. :iagree:

No Joke the guy was very nice about it even sent me an email after to confirm the web page. LOL I already had it before i called but still nice to see they are sending people to a web page with hacked firmware even.

Originally posted by LoneWolf15
[B]There isn’t any support because the NEC is an OEM drive, intended for release to system builders who would provide the intended support, not NEC.

The NEC is a decent drive, but to buy one in OEM packaging (as opposed to buying them in retail kits by Pacific Digital for example) is tantamount to agreeing you will support yourself. [/B]

The drive is available OEM or Retail, the drive is the same, the box isnt. What you are suggesting is laughable, i have used the drive in several builds and i dont recall telling customers they should learn who to write a firmware for there shiny new DVD drive simply because it is a bare NEC drive. NEC support is crap simple as that.

Just in case you doubt the retail package:

NEC ND-2500A (Dual Writer +/-) RTL Ref: CDR4040
RTL Drive - (8x DVD+R / 4x DVD+RW / 8x DVD-R / 4x DVD-RW / 32x CD-R / 16X CD-RW) Includes Nero Burning ROM 6 SE, ArcSoft ShowBiz, Sonic Cineplayer & Sonic MyDVD Software.

£89.25 Including VAT at 17.5%

Nothing like a little mis-understanding and jumping to conclusions.
NEC drives are only available as OEM and bulk in the USA. Anyone who buys one has a clear understanding (or should) that they are not supported by NEC, as is the case with any OEM or bulk hardware.
Perhaps one should differentiate between “support” and firmware releases, which are really different things. Firmware relaeases are widely available in the variuous forums within hours of release, regardless of whether they are OEM firmware or “official” NEC versions.

Firmware doesn’t fix faulty hardware, usually doesn’t fix media incompatability, but it does usually add media codes and support for newer high speed media.

AS soon as NEC has enough 8x media on hand to warrant an update, I’m sure we’ll see the 8x media get added. But there’s not much point in updating it, if more 8x media types come out the next day. People need to relax about firmware updates.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
…usually doesn’t fix media incompatability, but it does usually add media codes and support for newer high speed media.

Hmm I’ve seen numerous examples where firmware has ‘fixed’ (increased) media compatability. Maybe you are not referring to improving write strategies on media… Or are you suggesting that NECs’ firmwares don’t focus on this at all?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
AS soon as NEC has enough 8x media on hand to warrant an update, I’m sure we’ll see the 8x media get added.

Oh and what a joyous day it will be! :bigsmile:

Originally posted by I Have Piles

got mine for £72(£67+vat)
well pleased with it

In Holland the sell the NEC 2500-A for Euro 99, GBP 65 incl BTW (VAT) :slight_smile: