NEC 2500a Read errors

I have had this drive for one week, I successfully backed up a couple of my DVDS using DVD shrink. I used a Nec 1300a and backed up most of my collection no problems. Now i can tback up anything not even my backups. I keep getting read errors that say

failed to read file G:
The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded

failed to read file g:
Data error (Cyclic Redundancy check)

It must be my drive and not DVD shrink because i cant even do a DVD Copy using nero 6.

Any ideas, sounds like my drive is faulty… Please help

Moved to the Nec forum.

It’s hard to say what might be going on, but how do the discs look in an error test like DVDInfo or CDSpeed?

Thanx 4 replying, cant work this one out. I downloaded dvd encryptor and it said, error: Failed to authenticate drive. i’m using the correct firmware i just give up. I’ll send the sodding thing back and exchange it.

thanks

I am having the same probs, any update on this??

in shrink dvd it scans through the dvd film then spits out that error msg

“failed to read file g:\
Data error (Cyclic Redundancy check)”

i have done a data dvd ok from files on my hdd, but with dvd’s

Errors non stop!! The dvd’s i have tries are new too.

Cheers

The NEC 2500A does not appear to be the best reader in the world.

Best of investing in a good reader for ripping e.g. Liteon / JLMS 166S

i havent even been able to write anything on the 2500

I have just purchased a LaCie DVD writer
It was delivered friday and I want to send it back

This is the model:
DVD-R/RW, CDRW 300727
NEW LaCie Firewire & USB2 DVD+/-RW 4.7GB 8x4x24x + CDRW Drive

Toast sees the drive as “_NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A - FireWire”.
Firmware 1.06 / MMC-3

Basically 10 dvds have ended up in the trash and I dont really want to waste even more. I have used the same dvd media with another writer and everything worked fine, it was a lacie 4 speed which was a pioneer in a d2 case. This was just plugged in and it burnt 10 dvds flawlessly with perfect verification. I was running Mac OS 10.3.2
With the new writer I have now I am using the same recordable dvds and burning similar files off the same ata drive.

Back to the 8 speed NEC:

On one ocassion the dvd unit turned off during the “writing lead in” stage of burning a dvd and gave this message:
Interface error 255 the connection is not stable
At the time the dvd writer was plugged into its own firewire port of the g4 with nothing else in the chain. It was burning from an internal ata drive. I was using Toast Titanium 6.
I found all cables to be correctly plugged in so I am not sure what is was complaining about.
There were no other applications open either.

On several occasions using Toast Titanium 6 or the toast lite 603 which came with the drive, there have been mismatch errors found during verification, some times over 20 of these were found.

I have tried 2 speed 4 speed and 8 speed and I still get error mismatches

I have the 2 versions of toast too

Other errors I have got include:
Interface error -32765 The connection is not stable(again while writing lead in)

Couldnt complete the last command because of a Mac OS Error result code= -32765
that was while writing lead out

Mismatch at byte 1802/sector 83456. Verification failed

I do not have a machine to test the USB2 connection on so I havent tried it at all.

To sum up:
I have used one LaCie 4 speed which was a pioneer in a d2 case - it worked perfectly
but the new 8 speed has just been a waste of time and dvd media.

Originally posted by bigearss
To sum up:
I have used one LaCie 4 speed which was a pioneer in a d2 case - it worked perfectly
but the new 8 speed has just been a waste of time and dvd media. [/B]

I’ve already posted a reply to your original thread here.

Anyway, I’ve been using a NEC ND-2500A with my Mac for a couple of weeks now and it’s been great so far.

Originally posted by blinky
[B]The NEC 2500A does not appear to be the best reader in the world.

Best of investing in a good reader for ripping e.g. Liteon / JLMS 166S [/B]

I think it is crazy that people have to go and buy 2 machines - an nec burner and then a new player too just because the nec is rubbish at reading. I think the thing to do is not buy the nec at all and send a message to the company that they should do better testing on their products before releasing them and that the player function of their burner unit should work properly.

It might be a cheaper and more effective option to give units away to people on this forum for free to test for them.

It is beyond me how they can release products without knowing what we then discover and discuss on this site???

Seems like its up to us end users to test for nec???
We dont get paid for doing it and we spend money on buying the units?

I’d rather have a great writer and a medicore/poor reader than a drive that is a poor reader and writer.

The way I see it the drive is designed primarily as a DVD writer so that is what it must function best at and from my experience it does.

Also not using the DVD writer as a reader saves wear and tear on the laser pickup and guides. Good DVD ROM’s are dirt cheap these days.

Similarly I do not use my NEC for CD Writing - I use my LiteON CD-RW.