NEC 2500A does not burn DVD+R at 4X?

vbimport

I just bought it, it has firmware 1.06 (extra info 03121900), made in january 2004 and I tried to burn at 4X and says power calibration error in Nero.

the disc is a 4X Traxdata but dvdinfopro sees it as RICOH:

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR01
Format Capacity 4.23GB(4.54GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CAV 5.9x 8112KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 21D42Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

This disc is burnt at 2.4X and Nero DVD speed shows a PERFECT burn. Is the drive faulty or what? How can I burn at 4X?

Thanks

Update Nero to the newest version right away!
Check your DMA!
Check my sig for troubleshooting guide.

By the way, you have the 12/19/2003 fw, which is the ‘better’ version of 1.06 :wink:

I’ll try to update Nero (now I have ver 6.3.0.0), DMA is on in bios and in winXP (i’ve been writing cds since Plextor launched it’s 12X burnproof writer, but this is my very first dvd-writer so i’m kind of a semi-n00b). I know it’s the better version of 1.06 (I wanted to give you full info, this is why I mentioned the dvdinfopro extra info). I’ll also read your troubleshooting guide.

Thanks

should i flash herrie’s firmware over this one to be able to write these disks at 8X?

thanks

PS in case i don’t like it can I go back to my original firmware??

Originally posted by IQz3r0
[B]should i flash herrie’s firmware over this one to be able to write these disks at 8X?

thanks

PS in case i don’t like it can I go back to my original firmware?? [/B]

Yes my beta 6 firmware allows you to burn these at 8x. You can always go back to 1.06 in case you don’t like my version (I highly doubt that though ;))

fact is…it’s impossible to burn at 8X…some borders error…i posted in your thread the results…how can I flash back the original firmware? using the windows one from your site? this one: 2k5106fn.exe?

fact is…it’s impossible to burn at 8X…some borders error…i posted in your thread the results…how can I flash back the original firmware? using the windows one from your site? this one: 2k5106fn.exe?

Borders error HUH? I don’t know that one! You can always flash back!

btw…is this firmware region free? i bet it is but i had to ask…:slight_smile:

also…with the original firmware it nero showed justlink enabled…now says just burn proof enabled.

also…the dvd+r i burnd with mp3s (backup needed) shows as dvd-rom in dvd-speed, not dvd+r…is it normal?

(i flash using the firmware from your site? 2k5106fn.exe?)

[B]btw…is this firmware region free? i bet it is but i had to ask…:slight_smile:

also…with the original firmware it nero showed justlink enabled…now says just burn proof enabled.

also…the dvd+r i burnd with mp3s (backup needed) shows as dvd-rom in dvd-speed, not dvd+r…is it normal?

(i flash using the firmware from your site? 2k5106fn.exe?) [/B]

Bitsetting made it DVD-Rom, to get better compatibility with standalone DVD Players:)

Justlink or Burnproof, what does it matter. In fact it does exactly the same :wink:

i think i’ll stick with it for a while…maybe i’ll try to write with recordnow4.5…i was able to burn only at 2.4X and the writing quality is perfect (i checked with dvd speed).

when I flash back I just use the firmware from your site? 2k5106fn.exe? (please confirm me that)

thanks

PS now I found out that windowsXP sees it as udma1. shouldn’t it be udma2? i have udma on in bios and it’s slave on an ata100 cable. what’s happenning? can this be the cause?

Hm, weird stuff. Since everybody else - including myself- is able to burn RICOHJPNR01 at 6X with the official 1.06 firmware - and @8X with Herries great beta 6 firmware - maybe it’s time to reinstall Windows?? Funny thing this M$ OS. Hard to live with but even harder to live without :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Peter

I was burning with an older system (like Athlon 700MHz) but I installed the baby on my P4 3GHz with Abit IC7 and it’s burning succesfully at 8X Traxdata 4X and Memorex 4X (both DVD+R) and white Princos 4X (DVD-R) at 6X.

Case solved!

Case solved!
I think it’s supposed to be “case closed” ? :stuck_out_tongue:
Glad to hear you sorted it out.

I could only burn at 2.4 speed. But solved that when I changed my cable to a 80 wire type, and made Nec 2500 to the master instead of the slave.

Originally posted by neilr
I could only burn at 2.4 speed. But solved that when I changed my cable to a 80 wire type, and made Nec 2500 to the master instead of the slave.

Good to hear neilr :wink:
That info is also already located in my troubleshooting guide.

well…yes closed also…but I wanted to say that I uncovered the mistery of the 2.4X only writing :slight_smile: