NEC 2500a CPU usage issues

vbimport

#1

Hi guys,

I purchased a NEC 2500a yesterday and installed it last night. However seem to be having a bit of issue with ripping DVD’s to the hard drive. When ripping with clone DVD, the CPU is constantly at 100%.

So far I have uninstalled // reinstalled…

Nero 6
Clone DVD 2
Any DVD

Primary IDE channel
Secondary IDE Channel
IDE controller

The latest Via 4in1 update

The primary and secondary channels are set to DMA
The primary being UDMA Mode 5
The secondary UDMA mode 2

as well as installing adaptec aspi

The HDD is a seagate 120Gb 8m cache (jumper set to master)
The burner is a NEC 2500a firmware 1.06 (jumper set to master)

I have tried changing the paging file to different partition

I have tried running a cpu / speed usage test with nero

and have found the following

1x 9%usage
2x 14%usage
4x 100%usage
8x 100 %usage

any info would be appreciated

btw system specs
athlon 1200
motherboard asus a7v133c
256mb PC133 RAM


#2

UDMA is clearly not implemented. Look in BIOS to see if it’s all set right, should all be set to “auto” on the IDE.
Also give us a hint as to your operating system.


#3

Sorry I knew I forgot something

Im using XP pro

everything is set on auto in the BIOS


#4

Even though your CPU is running at 100%, how long does it take for one of your DVD rips to complete? (without reencoding)


#5

it took about 40 mins to rip a 4gb movie with cloneDVD…


#6

I’m with rdgrimes – UDMA!

My computer - rightclick on blank space; Properties
Hardware tab; Device manager; IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers;
(IDE Channel that drive is on); Advanced settings…

Make sure that Windows uses Ultra DMA Mode 2 on your device, and check to see that the IDE channel controller is the standard windows one, NOT a third party one (VIA, Intel, Nvidia, whatever).

It could be some wild funky ASPI issue, but I dunno, I used the latest ForceASPI (for cdex and eac for rippin cds) and have had no issues with that… not something that I’m knowledgeable about.

–neoplex


#7

thanks for the reply’s

but ive

done that

they are microsoft drivers

The primary and secondary channels are set to DMA
The primary being UDMA Mode 5
The secondary UDMA mode 2

I might give that force aspi a go and see what happens


#8

ASPI doesn’t affect DMA function.
Uninstall the IDE controller and reboot. IF that doesn’t work, then use your Windows CD to reinstall the drivers.


#9

ive reinstalled the drivers a few times no joy…

Just reinstalled windows Xp to eliminate all possibilities. (fresh install not a ghost or image)

Tryed a different IDE cable

even tryed putting in on the primary IDE channel as slave and same issue…

my a7v-133 is getting a bit old now

I guess the next thing to try would be another mobo ( test it on someone elses computer) and see how it goes ?

p.s just to add, I have peformed some backups on to DVD using nero and they have worked fine.

( took about 5:30 to burn around 1.75Gb and there was very low CPU usage while burning )

The problem only seem to occur while ripping DVD’s


#10

I don’t think you have a problem…
You are ripping and reencoding with CloneDVD correct?
Reencoding always maxes out my CPU and 40 minutes is an appropriate timeframe to rip/reencode with your system specs.


#11

Originally posted by wesociety
I don’t think you have a problem…
You are ripping and reencoding with CloneDVD correct?
Reencoding always maxes out my CPU and 40 minutes is an appropriate timeframe to rip/reencode with your system specs.

I assumed he was talking about unencrypted DVD’s, maybe not.

I have tried running a cpu / speed usage test with nero

and have found the following

1x 9%usage
2x 14%usage
4x 100%usage
8x 100 %usage

Doesn’t look normal to me.


#12

Good point rdgrimes.
My PC uses very little CPU when it is just ripping…


#13

thanks for your help guys,

I guess I better spend more time in the newbie forums to gain a greater understanding of the processes involved with ripping /encoding DVD’s

I was on the understanding that if the DVD doesnt require compressing then it shouldnt take as long to rip

The DVD’s ive ripped on my GF’s computer (athlon 2000+ / 512Mb 2700 DDR and Lite On 411s). Seem to take around 15mins to rip. With minimal CPU usage.

Anyways thanks again. I’ll keep diggin :slight_smile:


#14

Originally posted by cazzaboy
… I was on the understanding that if the DVD doesnt require compressing then it shouldnt take as long to rip …

You are correct, it appears that you do indeed have an issue.