NEC 2500A burning problem

vbimport

I’m able to write to a DVD-RW Memorex disk, but cannot burn a DVD+R disk. It is being recogniseda d CD-ROM instead of DVD in Wind.Explorer.

I have a NEC 2500A DVD writer (Master in secondary IDE channel). DMA on in primary and secondary channel. I already tried to uninstall all packet writing software.

Anyone please can help me out? Al already checked lot of forums, but could’nt find the answer…

Thanks a lot!!

Kim

Using Windows XP, Nero 6.3.0.2, In CD 4.1.

I use the following media (DVD+R Memorex).

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID CMC MAG F01
Media Product Revision Number 00h
Free Blocks 405405696
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Default DVD+R book type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CAV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CAV 5.9x 8112KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Linear Density Blank Disc
Track Density Unknown
Number of Layers 1

AHH a cd-rom cant burn a dvd-rw so obviously your computer knows you have a dvd buner installed. What happens when ya try and burn the dvd+r.

Originally posted by Kim_B_
[B]I’m able to write to a DVD-RW Memorex disk, but cannot burn a DVD+R disk. It is being recogniseda d CD-ROM instead of DVD in Wind.Explorer.

I have a NEC 2500A DVD writer (Master in secondary IDE channel). DMA on in primary and secondary channel. I already tried to uninstall all packet writing software.

Anyone please can help me out? Al already checked lot of forums, but could’nt find the answer…

Thanks a lot!!

Kim

whats being recognized as a cdrom the drive? It will be under cdrom drives in device manager if you have windows 98 or DVD/cdrom drives in win2000/xp. what do you mean by cant burn does it just lock up or give a error?? it looks like the drive is recognizing the dvd ok from your media info. if you have a nforce motherboard may want to remove the nforce ide drivers they are known to cause problems.

Originally posted by Jamos
whats being recognized as a cdrom the drive? It will be under cdrom drives in device manager if you have windows 98 or DVD/cdrom drives in win2000/xp. what do you mean by cant burn does it just lock up or give a error?? it looks like the drive is recognizing the dvd ok from your media info. if you have a nforce motherboard may want to remove the nforce ide drivers they are known to cause problems.

What i meant is: i cannot format the DVD+R in for example Win.Explorer or directly write data on it. InCD doesnt recognize it as a writable disk, but as CD-ROM (so i can’t write to it). However, in Nero i can burn it on a certain (low) speed. By the way, i don’t have nforce ide driver.
Thanks in advance for your reply!

Hi there i am having the same type of problems.
i have done a lot of experimentation this weekend and have drawn very few conclusions. this is what i found.
nvidia drivers 4.12 dont work full stop.

nvidia drivers 3.13 seem to work ok but not as well as MS ones.

nero 6.3.16 seems to hate the drive and doesnt like burning images (iso)

nero 6.3.03 seems to work ok but gives poor quality ISO burns.

i have checked the DVD’s with nero dvd / cd speed most times it doesnt even complete the test it comes up with a no seek complete error. when i have got it to complete it reads from about 3x to 7.5x but is a fairly good smooth curve.

i am on beta7 of herries F.w. using infiniti yellows dvd-r (will burn at 6x )and infiniti pro reference dvd+rws (they wrote great first timewhich i was struggling to erase and do anything with)

When the disk is corrupted it was showing up as just a cd drive so i think that is windows xp’s default state.

i have just reformatted my hard disk to see if something screwy was happening so i will let you know later on

we anct be the only people having this problem? by the way i know its not the drive as i have swapped it with my one at work too.

I’m able to write to a DVD-RW Memorex disk, but cannot burn a DVD+R disk. It is being recogniseda d CD-ROM instead of DVD in Wind.Explorer.

I find Windows XP also recognises my drive as a CD-ROM if there is no media in.

However, I have no burn issues.

It might be that autorun is disabled. After inserting a disc try opening the drive and go to view->refresh

What i meant is: i cannot format the DVD+R in for example Win.Explorer or directly write data on it. InCD doesnt recognize it as a writable disk, but as CD-ROM (so i can’t write to it). However, in Nero i can burn it on a certain (low) speed. By the way, i don’t have nforce ide driver.
Thanks in advance for your reply!

InCD doesn’t support packet writing for DVD once-recordables.
It only supports Rewriteable discs.
Try a DVD+RW :iagree:

Following on from wesociety’s response, which is, as usual, entirely correct, you say that Nero can write this media at a low speed only. By the look of the DVDINFOPro output, you have the ability to write at 2x, 4x, 6x and 8x - which is hardly slow!

DVD write speeds are not equivalent to CD write speeds. 8x DVD is 73.8x CD speed.

This is really 4x media, and even though you’re being offered 6x and 8x writing, you may find that the best quality writes are found when writing this DVD+R media at 4x.

David

Ok, i’m a newbie. You’re replies made me lot wiser. I understand now (damn, i should have known that a DVD+R cannot be formatted… :).

Thanks again, always good that the’re people out there to help!

Kind regards,

Kim

No Problem, glad to see you on the forums! :bigsmile: