NEC 2500A best media?

vbimport

I’m probly the 100rdth person to ask this, but can someone simply tell me the best cheap media to get in a 50dvd spool? I am going to buy my drive from newegg.com probly cuz they have it for 110 w/shipping. Who has the best deal for any media you suggest? Thanks in advance!

edit

I plan to use the hacked 1.06 firmware that uncaps rip speed and region codes. Does this effect the disks I would be best off with?

Most discs will work good with this drive.

'But there is reports on some ritekg04 discs not working well with this drive. also try to avoid discs with unknown media codes as they may not be supported.

Ok… what disks burn at 8x the best?

Maxell DVD+R 4x. They burn at 6X and are on sale at Office Depot. Buy one and get one free on 15 packs. Only $.90 each.

Originally posted by NetTechie
Ok… what disks burn at 8x the best?

There are only a few that burn at 8x at all. TY DVD-R, and MCC DVD-R. The TY is flawless at 8x, please consult the DVD test forum for scans.

again, check this …

[List of media with recommended and max speed](http://www.nec.se/upload/Produktblad/Media List for 8x DVD Writer.pdf)

Thank you for your responses! I looked into TY media… they are about $1.60 each if you get a 50 pack, or $2.00 each if you get a 25 pack. I see you really pay for the quility your getting. I’m thinking I will not burn at 8x, and just stick with 4x until media is cheaper.

What media is best for the price at 4X burning? Which media is better, + or -? - works better in dvd players, which is good… what are the advantages to getting +?

Ritek is bad I guess, how about Princo? What is the best for the quility/price in the 4X range?

Thanks for any responses!

PS. Maxell… .90 each? Maxell are made by TY aren’t they? Nice price… wonder if OfficeDepo still has that deal.

Net Techie,

Where did you find the TY -R media at for $1.60 each? I have been using Taiyo Yuden exclusively for the last few months. I absolutely love them!! Have never burned a coaster, regardless of the burner I use (Sony DRU-500A, Lite On LDW-411s & 411s@811s, and now NEC 2500A).

Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by schapeke
[B]again, check this …

[List of media with recommended and max speed](http://www.nec.se/upload/Produktblad/Media List for 8x DVD Writer.pdf) [/B]
TDKX4 and MAXELLX4 burn at 6X, not X8 as stated in the recommended discs lists. And it’s hard to find 8X media, not many like those on the list.

Originally posted by NetTechie
[B]Thank you for your responses! I looked into TY media… they are about $1.60 each if you get a 50 pack, or $2.00 each if you get a 25 pack. I see you really pay for the quility your getting. I’m thinking I will not burn at 8x, and just stick with 4x until media is cheaper.

What media is best for the price at 4X burning? Which media is better, + or -? - works better in dvd players, which is good… what are the advantages to getting +?

Ritek is bad I guess, how about Princo? What is the best for the quility/price in the 4X range?

Thanks for any responses!

PS. Maxell… .90 each? Maxell are made by TY aren’t they? Nice price… wonder if OfficeDepo still has that deal. [/B]

GONE!

And Maxell has Richo as well as TY: You never know.

Currently I buy TDK 4X or Memorex 4X (be careful with Memorex) “when they are on sale,” because they burn at 6X and cost $1.00 each “when they are on sale.”

Well, now I am not sure they were TY afterall for 1.60… I realize now that you can’t tell what are TY unless you take them home. I think they were sold as Verbatim DataLife Plus… but then, maybe they aren’t TY either. I was kinda mislead by this information:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia.php?dvdmediasearch=&dvdmediadvdridsearch=yuden&type=6&size=All&dvdburnspeed=All&searchdvdwriter=&searchdvdwriterfirmware=&searchdvdplayer=&order=Name&search=Search+or+List+Media

it says that Memorex sells TY media disks, but there is no way to know if they were TY or not until you get them home I guess. :frowning:

What the f is the problem with the DVD brands? Cant they just PLEASE TELLL US!!! before we buy them, who makes the disks? This is like a royal joke.

I believe this is the authentic Lottery

I’ve been using Plextor TY R+ 4x that burn at 8x, buying them in jewel cases for 2€. This is a little expensive.

But every time i try to buy other brands i never know what to buy. Most of them only sell in 25 packs. I don’t want to buy 25 discs that couldn’t work in my machine :frowning:

Where I live people are selling so many cheap brands. About good brands sometimes I see some Tdk and Sony but at 3€ or more, this is a joke.

The other day i saw a spindle from Memorex R+ 4x only for 27€. It looked good but I was afraid to buy. I thought, let me check at home in the Nec list to see. I checked the nec list they weren’t there, so i don’t want to buy them. But what makes me crazy is that i don’t know what is inside, Ritek, Ricoh, TY?!?!?!

About cheap and respectful brands.
I feel that my NEC hates Princo (he records always successful but it’s never able to read any princo till the end), but what’s funny is that my LG dvd player loves more Princo than TY, this is crazy, isn’t it? When I’m searching chapters in a TY i hear some discs sounds like the head skipping a little. With Princo it’s amazing i don’t hear anything doing forward, backward, next/previous chapters it’s everything smoother.

Originally posted by giggy
TDKX4 and MAXELLX4 burn at 6X, not X8 as stated in the recommended discs lists. And it’s hard to find 8X media, not many like those on the list.

The list refers to 4x DVD+R manufactured by Maxell and TDK. The problem is that I don’t think you’ll actually be able to buy them because they probably only exist as samples or are only sold in Japan. TDK DVD+R sold in Europe/US are Ricoh or CMC. Maxell DVD+R sold in Europe/US are Ricoh or Taiyo Yuden.

At the present time, there are no TY DVD+R sold in the USA under ANY brand. There are also no Maxell made by TY here.

Does anyone know how Optodisc 4x media works with the NEC? I just got one today, and a store nearby is selling both the -R and +R flavour for about $2 a disc in spindles of 25.

Originally posted by Phoenix '97
Does anyone know how Optodisc 4x media works with the NEC? I just got one today, and a store nearby is selling both the -R and +R flavour for about $2 a disc in spindles of 25.

Optodisc DVD+R

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Optodisc DVD+R

Thanks for the link. I can see from there the NEC does a much better job with these than the Lite-On. :slight_smile:
However, most of the scans in that thread are from an 811. Given the information on this page:
http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80545
is it possible to compare a graph generated with a 411 drive to one created with an 811 drive? Multiply the PI/PO errors by some constant? Something else?