NEC 2500A and HD access issues

vbimport

Is it normal that the hard drive activity light remains red, not flickering at all when burning a CD-R or DVD?

Seems to be too much hd activity when burning :confused:

Hard drive LED red? Don’t you mean the NEC LED? When I burn, the NEC LED is solid red/orange… not my hard drive activity LED.

This red light on the NEC during burning is normal.

If you’re ripping files from your HD to DVD, then yeah, it could be possible that your HD LED would be solid during burning. Oftentimes when you do a 1:1 DVD copy, files are cached to disk (unless you specify otherwise) before being burned to the NEC - your HD LED should be on most of the time during this period…

strange i read about this nec led thing yesterday… mines green all the while while burning… any ideas on this? i have 2 and both are the same! never have either units ever been red while burning

No, I mean the HD LED is red all the time, even during normal CD/DVD reads in the NEC drive. My NEC drive LED is green during burning and reading.

Its even doing this with my Plextor 40x CD Writer now too and it didn’t before I installed the NEC yesterday.

My PC also slows down considerably during a CD or DVD burn and quite a few buffer underruns occur, the hard drive seems to be accessed like crazy. I’m burning from a image file (ISO), not 1:1 DVD copy.

My basic PC Specs:

AMD Athlon XP2000+
ASUS A7V333
512MB DDR333 2700 RAM
Secondary IDE Master: NEC 2500A DVD Writer.
Secondary IDE Slave: Plextor PX-4012A CD Writer.

Defrag your harddrive lately?

I defragged it about a week ago but the Disk Defragmenter says I should defrag the drive (again).

I don’t honestly believe this is the problem since the problem only appeared after I installed the NEC 2500.

Both DVD-RW/CD-RW drives are running at Ultra DMA Mode 2 and both HD’s are running at Ultra DMD Mode 5.

What make is your HD?

40GB Maxtor.

I have an Asus A7V333 and had a similiar problem with a couple of Western Digitial drives
when cable select was used, changing the jumper to the appropriate master or slave
solved the problem. I’ve never heard of Maxtor’s not working properly with CS though.

On some boards the LED lights for all IDE activity. It just depends on the mobo.

Well even reading a CD/DVD ie speed testing it in DVDInfoPro causes the HD activity light to stay on and before I installed the NEC 2500A, I didn’t have this problem.

The NEC is set as master and the PlexWriter is set as slave. My NEC’s firmware is the official 1.07.

This is the read speed I got from a INFOTECH DVD-R (does that look right?) and the HD LED light stayed on throughout, nothing is being written to the HD :confused:

I’m not getting faster than 4x on a RitekG04 either…

I did flash the drive from the stock v1.06 firmware to the official 1.07 firmware using the Windows flasher utility from NEC the restarted Windows, could that cause any problems?

Now I just burn’t something on my Plextor CD Writer which has always worked fine and got this error with Alcohol 120%…

####################### Dumping/Recording Progress Log #######################
21:48:46 Processor info: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2000+ (1668MHz)
21:48:46 Memory Available to Windows: 523,808 KB
21:48:46 Memory Buffer size: 128 MB
Recording Options: Use Overburning technology
21:48:47 Image file loading: C:\image.ccd
21:48:47 Source Info:  Session: 1, Track: 14, Length: 406.6 MB / 046:15:70
21:49:05 (F:) PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W4012A(1:1): Recording Method/Speed
21:49:05 Recording - RAW DAO - 40X (6000 KB/Sec)
(F:) PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W4012A(1:1): RAW DAO Write Mode - RAW-PW(96)
21:49:05 (F:) PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W4012A(1:1): BURN-Free activated
21:51:10 Image file loading completed!
21:51:35 (F:) PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W4012A(1:1) - [Write ERROR] LBA: 199499, Length: 16
    S:KEY - 03/0C/07  - "Write Error - Recovery Needed"
21:51:35 (F:) PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W4012A(1:1): Recording failed!
21:51:35 Error message:  [03/0C/07] - Write Error - Recovery Needed
21:51:35 (F:) PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W4012A(1:1): Recording failed!
21:51:37 Something is wrong with the recording procedure!
Please check the log file and report any errors to Technical Support.
##############################################################################

I just burnt a CD-R with the NEC and then loaded up CD Speed 3 to surface scan the CD-R but the disc shows up as a blank, I had to eject the drive then load it for CD-Speed to show the disc as recorded on.

What could be causing all these sudden problems?

Are you using the latest Via Hyperion Drivers?

If both drives are now causing problems, I’d suspect the IDE cable.
Check that your IDE cable is plugged in correctly and that you
are using a 40 pin cable (not 80) for the CD/DVD’s
Are you using a cable that came with the MB?
The cable that came with my MB was faulty, maybe try a different one.

IF everything is ok, unplug the NEC and try a burn with the Plextor
and vice versa.

guys:
its a nec thing. i had a liteon ldw411s, i rip/burn to/from an external firewire enclosure. when i used my liteon only activity lights were burner and external drive. got my new nec 2500a and now whenever i burn the hd activity light is pegged. i have a dual proc workstation running raid 0 scsi drives. so the only thing i have on ide channels are a SOHC-5232K on primary ide for ripping (set as master), 2500a on secondary ide (set as master)for burning. i have not noticed a decrease in system perf, but with 2 procs and a gig of memory, i’m ok on resources.

Even if I eject and load the drive, as soon as I press the button the HD LED comes on.

mine doesn’t. It really depends on the combination of drives and motherboards. Operating system can also affect it amazingly. We used to have an old IBM 486 which the HD light stopped working once Windows was loaded.

The presence of the light being isn’t neccessarily a problem. It is probably only on to show IDE activity.

Could the PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4012A write error I got be because I now have the drive has Secondary “Slave”?

It used to be set as Master before I got the NEC. I heard it isn’t a good idea to set any burner as slave.

Is this true?

Also has anyone found out why I’m getting the constant HD LED whenever there is activity on the NEC 2500A. As I mentioned before, my motherboard is a ASUS A7V333 with the latest VIA Hyperion drivers and my OS is WinXP Pro w/ SP1.

Anyone else got this same Writer+Motherboard combo and doesn’t have the LED problem?

I noticed that the HD LED light and the green light on the burner are synchronised perfectly ie when I eject the drive both lights come on and then go off at the same time and when I load the drive the same happens.

Does it matter which connector I attach the drive too?

I looked at the IDE cable and its a 40-pin grey cable. The NEC drive is piggied from the Plextor since the NEC drive is installed ABOVE the Plextor drive in the case.

Can this be the cause of the problem, that I am using the same IDE cable connection I used on a slave drive which was installed where the NEC drive is now?