Nec 2500a - 9.4 GB writing is possible?

Hi,

I want to buy this device but I was wondering whether a 9.4 GB burn is possible (isn’t it dual layer?)?

Thanks.

Dual layer is around 8.5GB.

NEC have announced the ND-2510A, which isn’t yet available. It adds DVD+R9 (DVD+R Dual Layer) support to the ND-2500A. As the FCC filing for approval of the ND-2510A says that it’s the same hardware as the ND-2100A (the DVD+R only version of the ND-2500A sold to some companies like Dell), some have got excited at the possibility of a (likely unofficial) dual layer upgrade being possible.

However - I wouldn’t get too excited. Early DVD+R9 burning will probably be at 2.4x rather than any faster. Even when drives are available, the media is likely to be expensive and in very limited supply - it seems that many media producers won’t have production fully ramped up until the third or fourth quarter. By then, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a second generation of dual layer writers available with maybe 4x dual layer writing (a huge speed saving).

DVD-R dual layer is also quite possibly coming - though probably not until around the end of the year.

It is, of course, possible that drives sold as ND-2500A will lack the necessary factory calibration data to write dual layer successfully (the cost of a few dual layer coasters could go well towards the cost of a drive with dual layer support from the factory). It’s also possible that there’ll be subtle changes in the optical side of the drive, making a dual layer upgrade impossible (though I’m not sure whether this would be within the latitude allowed by the FCC filing).

I hope that helps to put the issues into perspective. Whilst you might be able to upgrade the drive to dual layer DVD+R operation, the capability is likely to be first generation, possibly soon superseded by a second generation of dual layer drives, and with seemingly very limited availability for what will be expensive media, you may find that if you’re serious about dual layer writing, you’ll be wanting a new drive in another 6-12 months.

David

Hi david,

Although your answer put some things into prespective, I failed to understand whether a 8.5 GB write is possible with the suitable media and with the2500a ?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Sub-Xel
[B]Hi david,

Although your answer put some things into prespective, I failed to understand whether a 8.5 GB write is possible with the suitable media and with the2500a ?

Thanks. [/B]

Impossible at least with current firmware.

We do not yet know if the ND-2500A is hardware identical to the ND-2510A. NEC says it’s not identical - if that’s the case there will not be any possibilities to write dual layer with the NEC ND-2500A.

If the hardware is identical - then an unofficial firmware may be made/released for the ND-2500A. No there will most likely not be an official firmware upgrade for this.

Are there any devices which support 8.5GB burn?

i think dual sided dvd ram media support 8.5gb burns.

if i were u i would just buy a dvd writer now (say the nec2500, cuz its cheap). then in a year, when dual layer writing is beginning to come into its own, sell the nec2500a and buy a new dual layer writer. this way u get to have the newest tech, without having to worry about what is around the corner and when it is being released.

keep in mind that it is likely that when dual layer dvd drives come out, they wont be very reliable (at writing dual layer dvds). so keep this in mind. it usually takes a few months for the problems to be sorted.

whether a 8.5 GB write is possible with the suitable media

Yes, that would be 2 DVD+/-R discs.

or even dual sided (single layer) dvdr media, which doesnt seem to be taking off.