Nec 2500a @ 2510a DL

The scenario may be that they’re using the same PUH manufactured (or tested) to tighter tolerances and/or only drives manufactured as ND-2510A contain some necessarily calibration data for DVD+R DL writing.

David

Wow, never expected this.

Originally posted by zebra
[B]Hrrrrm…

From memory, when the FCC says something is identical, it means it is for all intents and purposes electronically identical and a mirror image of the other product in question.

This would mean, any change in the PUH type, no matter how subtle, would dictate an electronic change in the components…

Just my two cents… [/B]

Could be that the newer PUH’s will just me made with tigher tolerances…

Ahhhhhhhhhhh…I hate all the speculation. We need an an engineering sample!

:bow:

If the 2510 drive passess FCC testing on the basis that it is electrically identical to a 2500 drive, and this is not the case, then huge (and I mean HUGE) fines will apply.

If we can’t convert our 2500’s to 2510’s then we just need to send a report to FCC saying that the drives create unacceptable RFI, and they will investigate…

Wonderful methodology there Jackass. Lets hope it does not come down to this!

:slight_smile:

Originally posted by zebra
[B]Wonderful methodology there Jackass. Lets hope it does not come down to this!

:slight_smile: [/B]

Well, if the drives aren’t identical, and conversion isn’t a possibility, then they deserve what they deserve.

FCC testing and approval IS an expensive business you know.

What does interest me is the concept of the PUH needing to be within different tolerance levels.

This was similar to a technique LiteOn IT employed during their 411/811 and 451/851 transitional periods, or so the story goes.

This method of batch testing and quality control depending on how each individual drive performs is not speculative, I know it happens.

Such procedure explains a GREAT deal towards why some conversions work so well and others, on the same hardware using the same steps do not.

Never know, 2500@2510 might be a repeat incident.

Power output of semiconductor lasers should be widely adjustable (and pulses should be shapeable) within farely close tolerances.

It’s not the pickup head sensitivity that’s the problem, otherwise your burnt DVD’s probably wouldn’t work on my DVD player.

Ever wonder about the derivation of the term “snow job”?
Snow covers tracks in the woods, hides little imperfections, and in this case the likely real truth.

From the existing evidence at hand: the NEC 2500 drive was always going to be a DL capable drive, the FCC statement proves this.

Well it looks like we can count on Jackass to throw NEC under the bus if 2500/2510 hardware is not identical… :stuck_out_tongue:

If the drives are truly identical, then there may be another reason for the snow job besides sales to the unaware and technical support headaches for NEC. We have seen where Intel and AMD will lock their processors to keep unscrupulous vendors from selling overclocked cpus disguised as their higher- clocked original counterparts. I can see where a shady individual or company could buy a bunch of 2500a drives, flash them with the 2.15 firmware, replace the label on the back and sell them as OEM 2510A DL burners. This would stink, of course.