NEC 2500, Serious problems,going nuts

Guys first i loved my NEC now im thinking off trowing it out of the window:(

When i pop in a disc in my drive the LED indicates the drive is reading it, but nothing happens. If i double click on the icon : “No disc”. But if i restart my computer it works?!?!? Ive used unlock rip and rpc firmware.

As you can see this isnt a good solution. Right now im dowloadning and ftp stuff to burn, but i cant :(. Well if i restart my computer i will work but not otherwise.

The discs worked before: PRINCO, FORTIS and so on. Another thing, let say i just burned a movie 5 minutes later my nec wont read the copy it burned just a minute ago?!?!??!+

Any suggestions?!!??!?!

possible bad IDE cable… could you try replacing it and testing again?

Have you installed any new software right before this started happening?

Originally posted by wesociety
[B]possible bad IDE cable… could you try replacing it and testing again?

Have you installed any new software right before this started happening? [/B]

Thanx for the fast reply mate :slight_smile:

I will check the IDE, and yes ive installed tons of new dvd burner apps.

Originally posted by T-850
[B]Thanx for the fast reply mate :slight_smile:

I will check the IDE, and yes ive installed tons of new dvd burner apps. [/B]

You may also want to try uninstalling Copy2DVD and Alcohol 120% if you have them installed.
The Patin Couffin layer that they use has caused issues for some people…

edit: Also make sure you don’t have any packet writing software installed as they can cause issues. (DLA, DirectCD, InCD)

Hmm i checked the IDE no difference also i have none of the apps you mentioned.

Of course i could always restart my computer but its realy anyoing. I noticed my dvd are set to secondary master if theres a difference??? I think it wouldnt matter…

I really dont know what to do, i know the dvd burner is not damage because it worked very good before. Plz i need more suggestions mate :slight_smile:

Originally posted by T-850
…ive installed tons of new dvd burner apps.

Can you list the new apps that you installed?

One program that caused drive refresh problems for me is Norton Internet Security 2004, fully updated and my optical drives would not show media changes unless I rebooted.
The 2003 version of NIS causes the same thing to happen unless it is fully updated then everything works fine.
I believe it was caused by the Anti Virus part of the software and had nothing to do with the Firewall.
I was also able to reproduce this on my other comp with the exact same results

Just something to be aware of, if you have either NIS or NAV installed try updating using Live Update (run it several times).
Of course if you do not have these programs installed then its obviously not the problem :slight_smile:

Nah i dont have Norton, using MCafee my self.

Hmm the new apps well i think its these one: IMGtool Clonedvd DVD X COPY and so on but i normally dont use thema because my recordnow does the job. Im sorry mate but i have so many installed so its hard to list them all, but like i said i normally never use them.

Hmm maybe i should try to re-install the dvd burner???

Maybe uninstall everything you don’t use and see if it works then?:stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by wesociety
Maybe uninstall everything you don’t use and see if it works then?:stuck_out_tongue:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:eek: plz god:bow: :bow:

Heheheh:bigsmile:

Its defintley a pain in the arse!

Try going back if ypu are using XP

As a last resort, a clean Windows install will almost certainly eliminate your problems.

I’d just bet you have a software conflict, go into msconfig & shut off everything & see if that solves your problem if it does you know you have a software problem. Then one at a time turn on the software to see which prg is the trouble maker. Secondly Princo is not the best media & of course the NEC 2500a is known for being a bad reader but a excellent writer, try better quality media or get a DVD-ROM drive to do the reading and rippin’. Or better still go get a Plextor. px-708a.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Good point fellas.

T-850, you may also want to start Windows in safe mode and run a couple read tests.
Pop different discs in and out of the burner to see if they are readable.
That should help narrow it down to a software vs. hardware problem.

If the drive can read or recognize all the media no problems in safe mode, it is obviously a software conflict/issue.