NEC 2500 Read Speed Quest

vbimport

Hi

I did a speed test with a DVD-R on my NEC 2500 (See Image).
Sould the speed really be so slow? Im running on ultra DMA mode 2. The speed should be 8x according to NECs homepage.

What can i do to make it go faster?

Assuming you are using the default DVDInfoPro Speed test settings, there is nothing you can do to make your drive read this media faster.
Unfortunately, it looks like the media is very poor quality as I also stated in your other thread here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92240

Here’s a DVDInfoPro DVD Speed scan using TTG01 TDK DVD-R media.

So all my problems is because of my media then. Can I really relly on them as a back up copy of my files if they are so crappy that they hardly can be read?

Personally I wouldn’t rely on poor quality media - but it depends how valuable you regard your data as, and what other copies of it you have.

David

if cds are anything to go by, I wouldn’t rely on em. I made a backup of some data last year on some cheapo cds, they could read back at the time, tried a restore last month, damn thing wouldn’t rip. For important things, use media u can trust. Datasafe anyone?

Kajan,

I get exactly the same kind of speed chart on my 2500A as you do with the DVDInfoPro Speed test – zigzags between .5x and 1.5x.

Yet the DVDIP error test shows all green, the Nero DVD-CD Speed test shows speed starting at about 1.5x and ramping nicely to about 4x (the DVD is only 2.1 GB) and the Nero error test shows all green. The burn time was about right for 4x burning.

So I suspect that DVDIP has some problem with speed testing this drive. Maybe someone here who is smarter can chip in?

RA

Nero DVDSpeed transfer rate test is usually more reliable than the DVDInfoPro version.
I would recommend sticking with the Nero DVDSpeed :wink:

Kajun
That speed chart looks to me like you have bit set to DVD-ROM
booktype. And the read speed will be locked to 2x to reduce noise
while you are playing a movie.

My graphs look pretty much the same if I burn as DVD-ROM

So that is what that check box do in Nero :a And I who has burnt backup copys of my hard drive with a read lock on 2x hehe :a :frowning: :a

Originally posted by sarahjh69
Kajun
That speed chart looks to me like you have bit set to DVD-ROM
booktype. And the read speed will be locked to 2x to reduce noise
while you are playing a movie.

Sorry but you are incorrect. The only reason his graph is plotted so low is due to the drive having trouble reading the disc.

Here is a DVDInfoPro scan using MEDIA ID001 with booktype set to DVD-ROM

well thats really strange then (beta6 firmware)
cos if I use bitsetting to DVD-ROM my graphs look exactly
like that 2x - 2x . Writing them as DVD+R my graphs look 4x - 9x
(RICOHJPNR01 at 8x)

Are you talking DVDInfoPro graph?
If so, try doing a NeroDVDSpeed test and how does it look there?

yep dvdinfopro 2x - 2x
nero dvd speed 2.5x …rising to CRC error at 1 gig ish

I won’t be setting it to DVD-ROM again!
all works perfectly without bitsetting

That’s strange, absolutely no problems here when bitsetting a disc to DVD-ROM.

I’d also like to point out that your bitsetting theory is irrelevant (and false) for Kajan.
If you look above he is using DVSN DVD-R.
DVD-R currently has no support for bitsetting on the 2500A.

UR right looks like my Liteon 165h doesn’t like
dvd+r set to DVD-ROM
kprobe scan and speed test in my Liteon 811s are fine.

Guys,

Well, I get a speed graph that zig-zags near 1x on my 2500a even with a pressed DVD-video. Same thing with Verbatim MCC DVD-Rs that show zero errors in CDSpeed or DVDIP.

So as I mentioned above, the drive performs normally on other speed tests and in use, just poorly on the DVDIP speed test.

Manybe Kanjan and I have something peculiar in our set ups? Mine:

Dell 8300 3.0 MHz
Win XP Pro
1GB
Primary ATA master -WD HD
Secondary ATA master - Sony CRX-216E CDRW
Secondary ATA slave - NEC 2500a DVDR
Ultra DMA2 shown on both optical drives
Firmware reads as 1.06 03121900
Drives set as CS

RA

That my nec 2500 having problem to read my burned DVD’s sounds bad I have also tried one of my DVD’s in an other DVD reader in a completely different computer. That computer could copy over things to the hard drive that my nec 2500 would have given me a CRC error. How can this be possible is nec really such a bad reader that it even cant read what is self have been written or is it because of my media?

So should I use DVD Rom Booktype or not if I burn on DVD+R someday and what does that booktype do?

@Kajan,

Just found this on NicWs’ forum.
I believe this may be your issue.
Update your version of DVDInfoPro!

===================================

Hi Nic,

I am a bit lost here. I have NEC 2500A writer and Samsung dvd-rom drive. Whenever I use Nero CD/DVD Speed it reports speed up to 8x while reading data dvds on both drives. DVDInfoPro on the other hand seems to be locked at max 2x. I have no idea why. I’ve checked my PC settings, all seems normal, i.e. Ultra DMA 2 etc. BTW, I running Win XP. Any idea why ?

Cheers,
Michael

Hi,

This is a known problem and occurred between versions 2.30 and 2.33 inclusive, please update to the latest version and the problem will be gone.

cheers
NicW

===================================

Originally posted by wesociety
Assuming you are using the default DVDInfoPro Speed test settings, there is nothing you can do to make your drive read this media faster.
Unfortunately, it looks like the media is very poor quality as I also stated in your other thread here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92240

I’m with WES on this one. I have TTG01 media (CMC) and they are working great. I have also started using recordnow (I believe on wesociety’s recommendation) and have gotten better results