Nec 2500 firmware download

The address I used in the uk was datastorage.support@uk.neceur.com and got a reply back the next day.

still useless.

Maybe if everyone ets on their case, they will come back with something a bit more positive than “Sometime soon”.

didds.

Hi

Just got this reply within 5mins of emailing them

"Sir,

At the moment I don’t have a release date for the ND2500A firmware.

Regards

Mark Hallsworth

NEC Data Storage Support.

email: datastorage.support@UK.neceur.com

For Firmware updates and Media lists please visit: www.necd.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/557/lang/ENG

For FAQ’s please visit: www.necd.de/faq.php/id/573 "

So there you have it straight from the horses mouth

Ian

Same guy that replied to me.
He seems to have changed his tune.

Didds.

Well, they arn’t saying there is no new firmware in development, so I suppose that’s a good sign, I hope so…I need 8x on Ritek DVD+R R03 :slight_smile:

Originally posted by didds
[B]The address I used in the uk was datastorage.support@uk.neceur.com and got a reply back the next day.

still useless.

Maybe if everyone ets on their case, they will come back with something a bit more positive than “Sometime soon”.

didds. [/B]

Originally posted by AZImmortal
NEC’s products only come as OEM, as dhc014 already pointed out. if you buy an OEM product, the company that actually manufactured the product is under no obligation to provide support for the product, as it’s the OEM buyer’s obligation to do so (such as Dell, HP, etc).

Really? And as i have pointed out before NEC products do not only come as OEM at all.

NEC ND-2500A (Dual Writer +/-) RTL Ref: CDR4040
Retail Drive - (8x DVD+R / 4x DVD+RW / 8x DVD-R / 4x DVD-RW / 32x CD-R / 16X CD-RW) Includes Nero Burning ROM 6 SE, ArcSoft ShowBiz, Sonic Cineplayer & Sonic MyDVD Software.

Online Price £89.25 Including VAT at 17.5%

http://www.cclcomputers.biz/specs/cdrom/NEC/nd2500a/spec.htm

Look like a pretty comprehensive retail box to me.

The fact is most stores only sell the OEM version cos it is so cheap. Given the price is 90 quid for the retail box the chances are you would go for a Pioneer so many places just do not bother to stock the retail drive.

So then, now that is sorted WTF is the support?

I also sent a email messages to NEC and here’s the reply I got after only 4 hours. It looks like they are listening to us. Good to know!

Sir,

These problems have been noted and a firmware is being worked on, for release in the near future. As yet I don’t have a release date for this.

Regards

Mark Hallsworth

For Firmware updates and Media lists please visit: www.necd.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/557/lang/ENG

For FAQ’s please visit: www.necd.de/faq.php/id/573

Mark Hallsworth
These problems have been noted and a firmware is being worked on, for release in the near future.

Good to hear, this at least confirms that something will be released sometime.

Sir,

A revised firmware is currently being worked on, for release in the near future. However I don’t have a release date for this. Once released it will be posted on the link below.

Regards

Mark Hallsworth

Looks like autoreply is in full swing ! :cool:

Originally posted by ArchV
Looks like autoreply is in full swing ! :cool:

I’ve got exactly the same reply from Mark Hallsworth as well :wink:

I received an interesting reply…

by Mark Hallsworth
[B]Sir,

The issues you have raised are known about and should be rectified in the next firmware release. I don’t have a release date for this firmware.
There will be no bitsetting support for the ND2500A, the ND1300A official firmware does not have bitsetting support. Please note the use of modified firmware voids the drives warranty.

Please see the following article taken from our FAQ pages:

DvD Burner ND-Series - Is there a bitsetting tool available to change Booktype from
DvD+R/ +RW/ -R and -RW medias to DvD-ROM?

The DVD writers we sell in Europe do not need a bitsetting tool because
they already set to the most compatible condition. But in some cases it
is not compatible to (older) hardware equipment or standalone DvD players.

With ND-1000A and ND-1100A a burned DvD+R media will be characterized
automatically as DvD-ROM, but a DvD+RW will be characterized as itself.
The ND-1300A and ND-2500A marks DvD+R, DvD+RW, DvD-R and DvD-RW
as given. There`s no chance to change this settings.

Regards

Mark Hallsworth

For FAQ’s please visit: www.necd.de/faq.php/id/573
[/B]

I wonder if this guy Mark Hallsworth actually knows what he’s talking about or if he’s more of a Public Relations person that feeds customers a load of crap…
His inability to provide a new firmware release date suggests that he does not have the ability to contact NEC R&D directly in Japan or wherever they may be located.
This is truly sad news if it is true that NEC will not officially support bitsetting for the 2500A.

I do have news that bitsetting IS definitely being developed by the firmware hacking community though. No estimated time of release yet though.

I don’t think I will buy another Nec anymore…

No new firmware for almost 4 months now… this is totally unacceptable!!!