NEC 1300a vs Pioneer 106 vs Sony 510a

Price difference between NEC and Pioneer is negligible (Pioneer is $10 AUD more). Sony is around $50 AUD more.

What’s the recommendation?

Thanks

jayel

Besides the differences in features (not that big, just some differences in speeds and such), I’d only consider the NEC or the Pioneer, as the Sony is simply to expensive.

I’m a happy 1300a owner, but I think that if I had to buy a writer right now, I’d buy the Pioneer 106, as it’s known for its great media compatibility and high write quality (even on very cheap media).

The 1300a is often said to be a writer with many media compatibilities problems, but with alternative firmwares, this is nog a big issue (I haven’t found a single disc that doesn’t run on it with alternative firmware). The write quality is overal pretty good, but the 106 (or A06, that’s the same drive) is performing somewhat better, according to quite some members of this forum.

For what purposes will your drive be used? General use? Or do you also care about copy protected cds (DVD protections can be cracked with any software)?

Dee-ehn, I’m torn between an LDW-411S and a Pioneer 106. Historically, the LiteOns were better at defeating copy protections, in fact OC’s recent review on the Pioneer was not reassuring with regard to copy protections. I plan on using the DVD player to:

[ul]
[li]Watch/record from TV-in/backup DVD video discs;
[/li][li]Back up the HD
[/li][li]As a backup reader/writer for whatever else my LTR52327 can’t handle.
[/li][/ul]

I don’t mind buying a LiteOn CD-RW LTR52327S for defeating CD-based copy protections, but isn’t it just a matter of time before DVD-based copy protections are on par with CD-based ones? At which point the LDW-411S will be the better choice.

I talked about my dilemma a bit more here.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the copy protections on DVDs. Although MacroVision is working on them, it can take a while before they enter the market. And who says the 411s can handle those protections?

If you are really worried about this, talk to someone who’s more into protections (e.g. spath), as they know lots and lots more about that than I do.

For current protections, the LiteON CDRW drive is indeed a very good choice. Ofcourse, the Plextor Premium is a good choice as well, but it costs a lot more than the LiteOn costs.

I’d go for the Pioneer drive, that I know for sure (no matter how it handles protections, write quality is way more important to me…).

Where is OC’s review for Pioneer 106 and Liteon DVDRW??

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

I’m a happy 1300a owner, but I think that if I had to buy a writer right now, I’d buy the Pioneer 106, as it’s known for its great media compatibility and high write quality (even on very cheap media).

The 1300a is often said to be a writer with many media compatibilities problems, but with alternative firmwares, this is nog a big issue (I haven’t found a single disc that doesn’t run on it with alternative firmware).[/B]

which firmware are you using?