Nec 1100a help. not recognising dvds

vbimport

Hello

I’ve just bought a 1100a and although it recognises my audio and vcd/svcd discs it will not see any dvds in the drive. It asks to insert disc even when theres a commericially bought one already in. I’m at my whits end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Taff

The ND1100A is a DVD+R/+RW only drive. Check your DVD media type first.

Yep thanks. But it won’t recognise genuine/normal dvds (not recordable). I’ve a dual boot system 98se and xp and the problem’s the same on both. As I mentioned it does play burnt audio and svcd/vcd!

Taff

I am posting from a friend’s place right now, who wanted me to help with the same drive. After reading this post, I looked at her DVDs that she wants to write, I notice that they are DVD-R. I am not experienced with DVD-burners, but does this, then, mean that she cannot write to these DVDs?

Tucsontier

You cannot use a DVD-R disc in a recorder that only supports DVD+. DVD- and DVD+ are two different formats.

Originally posted by Tucsontier
I am posting from a friend’s place right now, who wanted me to help with the same drive. After reading this post, I looked at her DVDs that she wants to write, I notice that they are DVD-R. I am not experienced with DVD-burners, but does this, then, mean that she cannot write to these DVDs?

Tucsontier

Make sure NEC ND-1100A is used with DVD+R and DVD+RW media. Up to 4x DVD+R and 2.4x DVD+RW. Of course, it can also write to CD-R and CD-RW.

DVD-R and DVD-RW media are used with DVD-R/-RW drive/recorder. ND-1100A can read written DVD-R/-RW media but cannot write to it.

Hi

I’m definitely using +r and +rw. Sometimes when I reboot my drive will not entertain reading ANY dvds (although it always reads cds). I have to disconnect power to drive then reboot and all is fine. It will read DVDs again. It will, however, always write to dvds! It can’t be the media, as after doing the above any unreadble dvd becomes readable again. I got this problem with 98se as well when I had dual boot up so I doubt if it is an XP problem.

Any help appreciated as this is so frustrating.

C

The only thing I can think of is for you to flash your firmware to 1.A1 if you’re currently using 1.A0. There’s also a site w/ modified ND-1x00A firmware that lets you make the drive region free. Damn, forgot where I put the url. Found it. BTW, did you turn on Auto Insert Notification on your system?