Nds movies

vbimport

I have bought a nds lite for my daughter along with a r4 card so I can get games off the net.
what do I need to play movies and how do I do it
cheers sloany

My kids have Supercards (an alternative to the R4). Just convert the DVD’s using DVDFab (the NDS option under ‘DVD to Mobile’, which is in the full version of DVDFab), then copy them onto your R4 card & select them to play.

I have found that I can get the movies off the net already what I need to know is how to play them on a r4 card what program do i need

Depends on where you get them, and what format they are in.

Can you elaborate a little?

O’C

they are dpg files I am told that is whats needed for the ds lite what I need to know is how to play them and which program to use

[QUOTE=sloany;2183368]they are dpg files I am told that is whats needed for the ds lite what I need to know is how to play them and which program to use[/QUOTE]

OK… you got me with this one.
I thought I was familiar with most of the video/audio formats…

What are “dpg files”? And where are you getting them?

Thanx

O’C

:confused:

[QUOTE=sloany;2182474]I have bought a nds lite for my daughter along with a r4 card so I can get games off the net.
what do I need to play movies and how do I do it
cheers sloany[/QUOTE]

I believe that you haven’t installed the software to play multimidia in your r4 card. One software that you could install is the moonshell homebrew software for your card. You can download the software for your card from your card supplier site or in the following site: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1638 .

Here is a copy/paste of the information about this software posted in the wikipedia:

MoonShell is a homebrew multimedia player for the Nintendo DS dual-screen handheld videogame system. It is one of the most well known pieces of Nintendo DS homebrew software, and as of December 2006, one of the few ways to play video on the DS.

The player supports DPG video files, MP3 / OGG / MOD / SPC / MDX (no PCM) / GBS / HES / NSF / XM / MIDI / low bit rate AAC audio / non-progressive JPEG / BMP / GIF / PNG images, and text files. MoonShell plays fullscreen videos at 20fps and widescreen videos at 24fps, with joint stereo sound at a samplerate of 32.768 kHz. Both screens on the DS are used, with the bottom screen allowing file selection and control via touchscreen. The integrated plug-in system provides extensibility of program features. To add a feature, the plug-in files are simply copied to the appropriate folder. In order to function as a media player, several plug-in files are distributed with the software.

MoonShell is included as the default multimedia player for the commercial products N-Card, R4, CycloDS, AceKard, i-cheat XTRA and M3 DS Simply. The EZFlash V Flash Card and SuperCard One has modified Moonshell source code for firmware use which can be used for booting NDS files. Another modification made for the product M3 Real is the DSM Player.

I have got moonshell on my card it was put on by the bloke in the market when I bought it.
its just a folder at the moment how do I install (I am totaly new to all this) and havent got a clue

dpg files are the audio/video format that the NDS plays. DVDFab (can create dpg files, using the DDS option under ‘DVD to Mobile’.

The dpg format was defined by the creator of Moonshell. Moonshell is, as charlao says, is a homebrew multimedia player for the NDS (and more). It is included within the OS for N-Card, R4, CycloDS, AceKard, i-cheat XTRA and M3 DS SimplyA cards etc. You should therefore be able to play dpg files on your card just by selecting them.

As carlao says, you possibly haven’t installed the OS on your card. This is just a case of copying the files onto the card (no actual install process). You can get the OS either from the cd that came with the card, or from the manufacturers web site for your card.

Sloany,
As uotymab said, you don’t need to install the software, you only need to copy the files from your computer to the SD memory card.
If you have a folder called [I][B]moonshl[/B][/I] in your card it shoud contain many files and a file named [B]moonshell.nds [/B]that’s the software to run multimedia (DPG, mp3 and a lot more) files.
When you have your flash card inserted in the NDS and click in the multimedia icon in the navigation menu of the R4 skin it shoud open the moonshell software, and when the software is running, you can select the file you want. I’ve created one folder named [B][I]videos[/I][/B] in my SD memory card to find the DPG files easilly. When you select the file and click the A button on the DS it sould start the movie.

Some additional things that you can do:

• Get an updated version of the OS for the R4DS at the manufacturers website www.r4ds.com (it wasn’t working when I tested this morning) and unzip the files and copy to the root of your flash card
  • Get an updated version of the moonshell software at the R4 website, in some models of flashcards it’s necessary to use a version of the software customized for the card (i don’t know if the R4 needs a customized version or not), unzip the file and copy the moonshl folder to the SD Card.

I hope this will help, to make your daughter happy!

Oooops, I tried a wrong link to R4 website. The correct one is www.r4ds.cn

You can download the R4 v1.18 kernel 2008-4-24 in the link: http://www.r4ds.cn/download/r4.html

You can download the moonshell 1.71 for R4 in the link: http://r4ds.cn/download/r4.html#2