Nd2500a & CMC-R media (?)

Hi, just got a nd2500a burner. I purchased a spindle of DATASAFE RITEK G.04 to go with it, but these have turned out to disappoint.

Burning to these disks seems fine. Movies I’ve burnt play fine in my dvd player, but movies and data I’ve burnt to these disks are not read very well by the nd2500a.

The only other disk I’ve tried is a TDK DVD+RW (DVD Identifier states Manufacturer as PHILIPS [Type ID: 041]). These are written to and read from the nd2500a a treat.

So what media to try next? I’m in the UK and don’t want to be paying out loads.
I bought my G04’s from these guys:

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/FOR_DVD_R_RW_CLICK_HERE.html

(all their media is listed on this page)

I’ve been informed CMC might be a better brand to use with my nd2500a.
Does the media listed at the above link as “{DV 3095} CMC Unbranded 1-4x DVD-R” look OK?

Does anyone think that any of the other media listed at the above link would be a better purchase?

(if anyone in the UK can suggest anywhere else to look for places to buy media online, where they give plenty of details about manufacturer etc, that would be great)

Thanks in advance.

Any of the CMC should do just fine. Consult the DVD test forum for scans.

Update:

The first data DVD’s that I burnt using G04 read fine in a dvd rom drive on a laptop at work!

Ordered some CMC media today, so will see how they go…

recieved my CMC media today and just burnt a full data disk and it reads back a treat…

cheers.

I too have only gotten CMC to work on my 2500a burner. I purchased a pack of 5 maxell which turned out to be CMC. I then purchased 3 packs of 25 which all turned out to be Prodisc, which didn’t work with my player. How can I know I’m getting CMC’s before I purchase them? Is the CMC media purchased directly the same as the rebranded Maxells?

Hi,

I’m in the UK - so cant really help with places to get media. But the shop I’m using at the minute:

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/FOR_DVD_R_RW_CLICK_HERE.html

are really good and list the manufacturer as well as the brand, you neeed to find somewhere like this. People like ‘Staples’ (presuming that the USA staples are the same as our UK staples) won’t have a clue other that the brand stamped on the box.

If you can get your hands on a single DVD first, you could use DVD Identifier to inform you of who really made the DVD…
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tools?tool=350#comments

But it appears that quite a few brands chop’n’change between manufacturers. So unless you can find somewhere selling un-branded DVD’s, be carefull!

Memorex DVD-R is often CMC AF1. Although, not always

That’s right… I’ve found the TDK’s to be CMC as well…

HP DVD-R is always CMC, they are now selling 4x too.

I just ordered a spindle of CMC media from supermediastore.com. They were 89 for 100 so not too bad. I’m hoping that they are the AF1’s. This burner is a pain in the butt because its so media specific. On the CMC’s the burns look excellent. I wonder how the long term quality of these are. I’ll let everyone know the results when I get them this week.

If they were titled CMC 4X DVD-R, then they are definitely CMCAF1 :wink:
The 2500A is definitely NOT so ‘media’ specific. It burns better on more media than any other dual format burner out there… with media compatiblity increasing even more with Herries’ imported write strategies in the patched firmwares.

hey wes,

I was looking in your sig and noticed that you prefer recordnow, any reason for not using Nero? At one point when i was battling with my nec 2500/ritek g04 I tried this on a recommendation and still ended up making coasters.

Well when I first started burning G04 media @4X using Nero on a LiteOn 411s, my older standalone player (Philips DVD704) would not recognize the discs at all. It would pop a ‘disc error’ and promptly eject the disc even though Kprobe error rate scans looked very good.

I then tried using RecordNow to burn G04s at 4X, and the Philips player had no problems recognizing and playing the discs.
This led me to the conclusion that RecordNow can produce DVDs that are more compliant in a wider range of standalone players.
Kprobe comparisons that I have done myself have also shown lower error rates when burning with RecordNow.

And also, I like the interface :bigsmile: very clean, non-bloated and simple. (referring to RecordNow 4.6)

Originally posted by wesociety
If they were titled CMC 4X DVD-R, then they are definitely CMCAF1 :wink:
The 2500A is definitely NOT so ‘media’ specific. It burns better on more media than any other dual format burner out there… with media compatiblity increasing even more with Herries’ imported write strategies in the patched firmwares.

Well I finally got the cmc dvd-r 4x (100 spindle) and they ended up being ttg01. I’m happy so far and have created three perfect disks playable in my standalone toshiba. I think I’m jumping on the recordnow (4.5) bandwagon though because my ramp up speeds in Nero Dvd speed seem more smooth with that then they do with Nero.

Originally posted by philipf22
Well I finally got the cmc dvd-r 4x (100 spindle) and they ended up being ttg01. I’m happy so far and have created three perfect disks playable in my standalone toshiba. I think I’m jumping on the recordnow (4.5) bandwagon though because my ramp up speeds in Nero Dvd speed seem more smooth with that then they do with Nero.

TTG01 = TDK :slight_smile: Those can be burned @ 8x by default :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Herrie
TTG01 = TDK :slight_smile: Those can be burned @ 8x by default :slight_smile:

I was thinking about messing around with burning at 8x. When using record now I have it set to “max” record and its burning at 4x. How can I burn at 8x?

Well I finally got the cmc dvd-r 4x (100 spindle) and they ended up being ttg01.

I have no idea why supermediastore would advertise TTG01 as CMC media :confused: TTG01 is superior by far…
Maybe they just screwed up your order and you got lucky :wink:

I was thinking about messing around with burning at 8x. When using record now I have it set to “max” record and its burning at 4x. How can I burn at 8x?

Actually TTG01 burns at 4X with the stock firmware.
You need Herries’ patched firmware to burn at 8X.

I didn’t realize that TTG01 wasn’t CMC. That is weird because although they say the are CMC, it also sais right on the page that they are TTG01

http://www.supermediastore.com/cmc4xdvavin1.html

I’m wondering if you have done parity tests on TTG01 at 8x compared to 4x. Are you getting the same quality at 8x?

Thanks

something is fishy here,
it may very well be CMC media with a fake TTG01 mediacode…

I do not have any TTG01 to test with currently.

Originally posted by wesociety
[B]something is fishy here,
it may very well be CMC media with a fake TTG01 mediacode…

I do not have any TTG01 to test with currently. [/B]

CMC doesn’t fake ADIP codes, but there are fake TDK discs around. I’ve suspected for some time that CMC was making the Taiwan TDK media, maybe this confirms it. Or SuperMediaStore is selling fake TDK. Since they seem to perform well enough, perhaps the first is the better explanation.