ND-4550A hit shelves this September

vbimport

The forthcoming Super Multi-format DVD burner by NEC, will support an industry first 16x recording speed for DVD-RAM. The ND-4550A is scheduled to hit shelves this September.

Well at least that’s what CDRInfo says, read the complete article here

[I]Sources at the DVD Format Verification Centre (DVD Forum) indicate that the 16x format specifications for DVD-RAM (Format Books v3.0 up to v6.0) are expected to be approved this month. As a result, the introduction of the first 16x DVD-RAM drives and media (ND-4550A) might possibly be further delayed until early October.

The new DVD-RAM specifications cover writing speeds from 6X to 16X. (5x recording has been already approved). At the 16x speed, the disc is spinning at 11,000 rpm, reaching the physical limits for the 12cm optical storage media. The new 16X DVD-RAM recorders will not be able to write at the slower 2x and 5x DVD-RAM recording speeds, which are characterized as “Class 0” devices. [/I]

Cross your fingers. :wink:

My sources gave me this information a long time ago. Nice to see that they are right. See also http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=131229 :bigsmile:

If they succeed to launch it before October your sources were right. :stuck_out_tongue:

The new 16X DVD-RAM recorders will not be able to write at the slower 2x and 5x DVD-RAM recording speeds, which are characterized as “Class 0” devices.
This sounds idiotic, and something tells me that it is idiotic…

Why idiodic? sounds like progress to me :slight_smile:

Would you rather burn at 2-5x than at 6-16x?

Do you want to write your current dvd+r and -r at 1x or 2x. :confused:

What is the big upside to DVD-Ram. I do not understand, other than another format that we dont need, why would I want to spend more for discs and get the same thing.

Why idiodic? sounds like progress to me

Would you rather burn at 2-5x than at 6-16x?
It took maybe a year from the first 5x dvd-ram drive to the first 5x discs… so being able to use 5x media before 16x media is available wouldn’t hurt :slight_smile:

You guys are missing an essential fact concerning DVD-RAM. If the new drive cannot write at slower speeds than 16X you will not be able to use any RAM other than 16X. Slower RAM cannot be written at faster speeds.

Also the main benefit od RAM is durability and error correction so it is much better for archival storage.

you’re wrong, it can write 6-16X :cop:

it cannot write 2-5x as the older RAM-models do :iagree:

It’s not inconceviable that it could write 5x -RAM discs at 6x or higher… We’ve seen that happen with the introduction of each new speed 1x @ 2x, 2x @ 4x, 8X @ 12x etc

Since there is no current RAM media faster than 5X this still makes it usable only with 16X media; a severe limitation.

This has only been true for write once media, not for re-writable media. While not inconceivable, it is very unlikely.

I haven’t seen anyone writing at 5x using 1x or 2x or 3x DVD-RAM media. If it ever were that easy, why would they have waited several years to release 16x DVD-RAM? DVD-RAM 1x first appeared in the late 1990s. Reached 5x in the first half of 2004.

You can use DVD-RAM in FAT format, supported default in Windows XP (no need of 3rd party driver or software for that.) Whether DVD-RAM is better or not is not the issue here but there are some people that need DVD-RAM. (So don’t say “we don’t need” before you are sure.)

Blu-ray at first was very welcomed by the DVD-RAM users because Blu-ray resembled DVD-RAM in that the media were rewritable and protected in cartridges. I can’t see why one should prefer Blu-ray but dismiss DVD-RAM except for marketing and license reasons.

The blank media are still quite expensive comparing to -R/+R. But having a super drive is a plus, more versatile.