Nd-3550a & Yuden000 T03

vbimport

My NEC ND-3550A doesn’t burn Verbatim (YUDEN000 T03) media very well. Is this normal?

Those spikes are normal for discs burned in an NEC-based drive when scanned in a LiteOn. Otherwise, the disc looks like average T03 to me.

I am not 100% positive but I think the ND3550 is a Dell V of the Nec 3540. Which was a great drive. Still is and I believe there are other firmwares for this drive here
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/NEC-ND-3550A/
[B]Remember flashing firmware is always at your own risk. [/B]

Is this a burn or a scan issue? The LITE-ON LH-20A1S produces better disc quality results if the media is burned using the same drive.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2115622]I am not 100% positive but I think the ND3550 is a Dell V of the Nec 3540. Which was a great drive. Still is and I believe there are other firmwares for this drive here
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/NEC-ND-3550A/
[B]Remember flashing firmware is always at your own risk. [/B][/QUOTE]Umm, Alan?

Q: Is it possible to crossflash my ND-3540A to a ND-3550/3560?
A: No, the firmware is totally incompatible.
from http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/nec-optiarc-f-q-updated-04-04-2008-a-120934/#crossflashing-crossflash7

You are correct Albert but that was not what I mean’t , there are other 3550A firmwares, I am not saying that they will burn any differently but they are another option.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2115626]Is this a burn or a scan issue? The LITE-ON LH-20A1S produces better disc quality results if the media is burned using the same drive.[/QUOTE]They look almost equal in burn quality.

Like I said, the spikes are just recalibration spikes that only LiteOn drives show in their scans.

There’s been discussion about whether or not the spikes make reading the disc in question any harder, but it differed for people depnding on what they were using to read the disc back. Try a TRT on both discs and see if you get a failure or a noticeable dip. If not, don’t worry about it.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2115629]You are correct Albert but that was not what I mean’t , there are other 3550A firmwares, I am not saying that they will burn any differently but they are another option.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see now. We’re on the same page. :wink: I was just trying to let ya know that the 40 and 50 were based on different hardware. :slight_smile:

It has been a few years since I had that drive installed, I must brush up on my Necs again.:o

The ND-3550 is actually the same hardware as the ND-4550 but without DVD-RAM support.

Yup, I just saw that, and to this day I have never even seen DVD- RAM discs for sale here, or used any. :wink:

[quote=kyrcy;2115626]Is this a burn or a scan issue? The LITE-ON LH-20A1S produces better disc quality results if the media is burned using the same drive.[/quote] A burn issue.

[quote=Albert;2115630]Like I said, the spikes are just recalibration spikes that only LiteOn drives show in their scans.[/quote] Yes and no.

Yes they are recalibration spikes, but no they are not “just” something that looks bad in LiteOn scans.

Some drives will react very negatively to some of the recalibration spikes created by those NEC 3550/3551/4550/4551 drives - either slowing down during reading or even failing completely during reading.

Depending on which drive you use to read such discs, you may have no problems, some problems, or you may have unusable discs.

My tests with my own drives ended up showing that only when burning at 4x was I certain of getting discs without these recalibration spikes, and 4x burning is too slow even for me.

You can make up your own mind about whether to accept those recalibration spikes or not, but they are not just a figment of the imagination of the scanning drive.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2115646]Yup, I just saw that, and to this day I have never even seen DVD- RAM discs for sale here, or used any. ;)[/QUOTE]That’s a pity as DVD-RAM is probably the safest form of re-writable optical media. It’s quite popular in Europe and Asia.

Should I burn this media with the LITE-ON LH-20A1S and avoid using the NEC ND-3550A?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2115649]A burn issue.

Yes and no.

[chopped a bit out to save space]

You can make up your own mind about whether to accept those recalibration spikes or not, but they are not just a figment of the imagination of the scanning drive.[/QUOTE]
Indeed, but I had to try to sum it up somehow as a simple answer. :doh:

If the burns on the NEC don’t work for you, I would say to just stick with the LiteOn. But if the burns on the NEC DO work for you, then I don’t see why you can’t use it.