ND-3550 is really loud compared to 3520?

vbimport

Before you jump and on me and tell me to use DriveSpeed, I did.

Currently I have a ND-3520 and today I replaced a dead Lite-On CD-RW drive with a ND-3550.

So, when I play a pressed DVD in the ND-3520, it’s really quiet, however, when I play the same DVD in the ND-3550 the drive is really loud. Sounds like it’s reading at 16X.

I used DriveSpeed, but only half the options come up and it says the drive’s max speed is 12X. This happens with both firmware 1.05 and 1.06.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Best idea: use ND-3520 for watching movie and the 3550 to rip. :slight_smile:

All my NEC drives such when it comes to DVD playing and ripping. Good thing I have the Lite-On DVD ROM that goes quiet when playing the movie, and rips full speed when ripping. With the NECs I had to choose either fast rippiing, or quiet playing

Once I had a NEC 3520 who had an interesting quality: when I was first inserting a disc the drive would spin up at max speed (16x max) , when I reinserted the same disc twice the drive would spin-up at half-speed (8x max) and when I reinserted the same disc for the third time the disc would barely spin-up (2x); I was stunned to observe this while I was catalogging my discs…;though wierd , I used this quality for that time being satisfactory.