Nd-3540a

I have seen a few articles and posts mentioning the ND-3540A is to be made available in this month, (April). I am in need of buying a new drive sometime fairly soon and was wondering if people thought it would be wise to get this drive so close to its release. I was going to buy a Pioneer DVR-109, but even now, months after its release, the firmware for it is flaky at best, and its having a hard time buring many media’s at their rated speed. Any insight by NEC owners about previous models experience, (early new model purchases), is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wamozart.

3500 was great, 3520 a minor disappontment, early reviews of the 3530 poor.

Seem to see a pattern here. I would hold off and see.

If you need to get one now look into the LG or the BenQ.

Find a post by me that is not too old on what drives are the best alterative to the 3520 right now. More info can be found in it.

Mark

If you want a drive now, I would suggest the LG 4163.

I had a new BenQ 1620 that burned fine, but always got hot even when it wasn’t burning. It burned DVDs fine, but I didn’t like that it gets so warm even after light use. If you put your nose up to it, you could even smell a strong burning odor.

That isn’t normal for a DVD burner, is it?

So I returned the BenQ to Newegg after only a few days of use. They were cool about it and let me exchanged it for an NEC 3520, they even waived the restocking fee. Even though the Benq worked fine, I didn’t like the fact that it gets so hot, since heat is the enemy of all computer hardware.

I like the 3520. Oh, I like the 3500 too. And oh, I also like the 3450. :slight_smile:

I personally have never had a problem with the nec 3520 markrb, in fact it’s the best drive i’ve owned. (I’m comparing it to 3 different dvd-rom drives I’ve owned in the past year). I can’t speak for the lg.

I agree with 790
I had Lite-On 832S - nothing special, then I sold it, and I need to bought a new drive, Many people told me buy LG, its a fine drive, but I found that this drive has some problems, and the burning quality is nothing special. I heard about the NEW NEC drive - 3520A, I watched some test and it was great, so I bought it, and one more thing, if you heard that this drive cant copy protected cd its wrong, THIS DRIVE CAN COPY protected CDs. :cool: