ND-3500 won\'t burn +R DL (tried several Firmware, etc)

[qanda]This thread is about the NEC ND-3500A / ND-3500AG. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I know there have been other threads on this, but I’ve been unable to solve the problem and this is my last attempt before throwing out the ND-3500AG drives (2 of them) and buying something else…

OK, my ND-3500AG will not burn +R DL dvds. I had Vista and XPSP3 installed. Vista would simply hang anytime a DL disc was inserted in the drive. XP will read them, but won’t burn them successfully. I reformatted and now have only XP. Same problem.

I have an ISO image of a DVD that I was able to successfully rip using RitIt4Me and DVD Decrypter on my desktop which houses the ND-3500AG drives (ripped on one of the ND-3500AG drives). I was able to burn this ISO image through an ethernet connection on my DL DVD burner on my laptop (HP dv6000 w/ “HT-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N ATA” burner installed) using CDBunerXP. This image will not burn on my desktop which has 2 ND-3500AG drives. I have used this image as a test since I know it works on my laptop burner, but I have tried other images as well. I’ve also tried just burning files to dual layer, with no luck.

Things I have tried:

• Unplugging each drive individuallly and trying to burn (via the IDE connection)
  • Firmware Versions: 2.06, 2.1A, 2.R8
  • Burning Software: ImgBurn, CDBurnerXP
  • CDBurnerXP pauses at 32% using both 2.1A and 2.R8 firmware (the laptop burner powers though until the end). by pausing I mean it still says “writing to disc”, but the drive light goes out and nothing appears to happen. Task manager says my CPU utilization is still about 50% (P4, 3.0Ghz, Asus P4P800-E board, 3gigs DDR ram).
  • formatted hard drive and performed clean install as mentioned previously
  • Media: riData DVD +R DL 70671FRDA0025. I know people complain about RiData, but my laptop burns them perfectly literally every time (any and all file types).

Again, these drives will burn single layer discs with no problem, but they don’t like DL. Any help is much appreciated. I’ve been tempted to take them out and trash them, but I’m worried that I will have the same problems with a new drive. Thoughts on that are appreciated as well.

Thanks!

When those burners were made I think the only DL media made was Verbatim Mkm001 . Your burners don’t know what to do with that RiData media.

Right on, your burner is kinda old but most important: the DL media you use is crap.

thanks for the help guys. i’ll get a new burner and go from there!