ND-2500A: Tw different versions of fw 1.06?

Hi,

Got myself 2 x ND-2500A drives. Upon receiving the first drive i used the DOS flash tool from The Dangerous Brothers to dump the stock firmware before applying the RPC1 firmware from TDB - just to play it safe. Today I got my second drive, this too came with firmware 1.06. Used the DOS tool again to dump the firmware. Now the weird thing is that these two dumps differ when doing a filecompare - even though both are version 1.06.

Any ideas???

Maybe this is another build of the 1.06 firmware? There was perhaps a minor/small bug in an earlier version that has been fixed in a newer build…?

I just got a NEC2500 today and it came with 1.06 firmware. It’s also different from the originals that are post online. Here is some info I took from each in hex. There are other differences too but this appears to be some info about the version.

1.0620040108 From my NEC
1.0620031219 Online posted original

I received this reply from Brother Vlad

[i]Hi Peter,

From the strings within the ROM image

_NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A 1.062003121900
_NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A 1.062004010800

First Drive 19-Dec-2003, Second Drive 8-Jan-2004

NEC is back to their old habit of releasing slight varients of their
firmware. The second one is the version on NEC’s German site over the
weekend, www.cdrinfo.com refered to this as 1.08, but it is 1.06.

We should probably patch and posted the newest one.

So it’s not a DOS Flasher issue, but rather really different versions.

Brother Vlad
[/i]

And here is my reply/findings

[i]
Hi Brother Vlad,
Thank you very much. Actually the so called v1.08 dated 8-Jan-2004 seems
to be worse than the “original” v1.06.At least I did experience some problems
with 1.08, namely

1. Got a write error in Nero 6.3.0.2 when trying to write 4X +RW (RicohW11)
  2. Second attempt finished OK, but media was unreadable in same drive!
  3. Same media from 2) was readable in first drive. However I had major slowdowns
    (bad transferrate test).

I decided to flash my new/second drive with the “real” 106 firmware (actually
the patched one with the rip speed lock removed from your site). Now the
drive works like a charm - just like my first drive.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that this new 1.08 firmware might be quite
buggy?

Once again, thank you.

Cheers,
Peter

[/i]

I’m thinking its worse too. I just did a Ritek G04(matte) and my kprobe scan was far worse than even my Lite-on 811.

I was like wtf. This drive is suppose to rock. I’m about to flash with the original 1.06 and get away from this 1.06 second edition(1.08) that my drive came with. Hopefully I will see the great results others have been posting.

Update

Results are much better with the older 1.06

Hi,

Could you tell me where I can get old (good one) 1.06/ Or may be you can email it to me.

Thanks

pdu has links in his signature.

I’ve seen it.
But version from www.cdrinfo.com it’s new one which doesn’t work well.

I need original 1.06 which everybody happy.

Thanks

Hey guys,

Their is a new one at the NEC site. Can someone confirm if this is the same one we are talking about.
http://support.necsam.com/OEM/downloads/FlashFirmware/K25G1080.exe

Yes its the same one. 1.0620040108

NEC is back to their old habit of releasing slight varients of their
firmware. The second one is the version on NEC’s German site over the
weekend, www.cdrinfo.com refered to this as 1.08, but it is 1.06.

Originally posted by niki_wind
[B]I’ve seen it.
But version from www.cdrinfo.com it’s new one which doesn’t work well.

I need original 1.06 which everybody happy.

Thanks [/B]
You can get original 1.062003121900 from the link in my signature. You will need a DOS bootdisk to use it though.

Thanks pdu,

Now I see it:)

If I understand correctly. I have to boot comp. from DOS floppy and then stars the DOS flasher.
Am I right?

Thanks

I just bought a 2500 this week, shows jan 2004 build so i assume its the later firmware 1.06, ive burned maybe 10 dvd+r’s so far without any problems, i dont know if i should flash back or not, dont really see any reason why, cant get any 8x burns only 6.2x tops with tested TDK,Memorex,Ricoh r01’s
But i love to flash so might try it anyway, trashed a optorite dd0203 trying to flash it to a 8x:bigsmile:

Well in dos i cant get NEC2X00A.exe to open, just goes back to a:, so i loaded the factory firmware in windows, burning now, seems alot slower on initial burn, didnt start burning until almost 1 min, before it would start burning after say 30 seconds, that might be what the newer firmware is about…faster burntimes…who knows, after this burn i’m flashing back to the newer version and test that again.
At first i thought it wasnt going to even start burning even though both buffer’s were at 100%, btw i’m using dvddecryptor.
finish time was 11 mins compared to 10 with newer firmware.

I returned my drive because of problems in writing at Princo and Verbatim CMC. (see http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85847). In most cases the drive couldn’t read their own recordings, that’s the tests the technicians from the store have performed in order to say the drive was faulty.

So what you’re telling me is that the drive was fine and it was only a firmware problem???

And probably the drive they will deliver to me today, will have the same problems?

What are these people from Nec doing?

One question,

from pdu signature
Get the official version 1.062003121900 here (my own dump)
Get the regionfree/ripspeed unlocked version 1.06 here here (patched by TDB, dumped by me)
Get the ripspeed unlocked version 1.06 here here (patched by TDB, dumped by me)

Are all these 3 versions made of the same good one???

If i’m going to flash my replacement drive, i’d like to do it with the good one plus speed and regions unlocked.

Yes those are the first(good) versions.

I tried the latest TDB patch (http://www.firmware-flash.com/~tdb/firmware/2500R106.ZIP) and it works great for me. It’s a Windows flasher too…great for noobs like me.

Of course, since I’m a noob, I don’t have any objective stats. But from what I can visually observe, it definitely rips faster so far.

a question
if i flash the alternative firmware, can i reflash the original one to restore the factory status? is it possible?

I was using the windows based firmware from the dangerous brothers and all was well, then the weirdest thing happened. I happened to look under Device manager and the Region Tab showed up under my 2500A. When I first flashed it a few days ago it dissapeared?? Anyways I’m trying to use the Dos one from pdu’s sig and I run the .exe and nada just goes back to A:\

Any ideas??