ND-2500A media?

vbimport

After alot of research I’m planning on getting an NEC ND-2500A as my first DVD writer but wanted to ask advice on media before purchasing. I’ve heard good things about the following discs but wondered if anyone has any direct experience of either type? If not then how about some suggestions for reliable, good value discs in the UK? I want it for backing up about 300gig of Xvid films and Ape files on my music server. I plan on using Nero 6 as the burning software. Also is the NEC compatibile with EAC for ripping new CD’s?

Bulkpaq DVD-R 4x Speed White Printable (prodisc)
Datawrite DVD-R 4x Speed 4.7gb Yellow (princo)

Thanks in advance :bow:
Doctor Deaf

RICOHJPNR01(DVD+R 4x) burn at 6x with stock firmware. Richoh is relabeled and sold under different brands. Fujifilm DVD+R have been richoh everytime i have purchased them. As i understand memorex, imation,datasafe,maxell ect is a crap shoot as to what media you may get. I would wait for a good sale on fujifilm 4x discs at a retail store and buy them in 25 to 50 at a time because the cost of dvd media is coming down. You can try newegg.com and read the comments/product reviews often users will purchase and post the mid. Good luck and happy burning!!!

Thanks for the tip. In general should I be looking at DVD- or DVD+ discs? I’m not planning on copying DVD’s for playback on a home machine so if one type is longer lasting or more reliable then I’ll go with that.

Cheers,
Doctor Deaf

Originally posted by doctor deaf
After alot of research I’m planning on getting an NEC ND-2500A as my first DVD writer but wanted to ask advice on media before purchasing. I’ve heard good things about the following discs but wondered if anyone has any direct experience of either type?
Bulkpaq DVD-R 4x Speed White Printable (prodisc)
Datawrite DVD-R 4x Speed 4.7gb Yellow (princo)

You might want to take a look at this thread for information on Prodisc media.

I got Prodisc media in a 50 pack spindle from Fujifilm and have been happy with it.

I second the recommendation of RICOHJPNR01 media. Has worked great for me. Mine came in the TDK 100 pack spindles, though TDK appears to have dumped Ritek (who manufactured those discs) so its more likely that you would get CMC media instead.

Most of the Memorex DVD+R media I got was RICOHJPNR01 media as well.

Originally posted by doctor deaf
Thanks for the tip. In general should I be looking at DVD- or DVD+ discs? I’m not planning on copying DVD’s for playback on a home machine so if one type is longer lasting or more reliable then I’ll go with that.

I don’t think there are really any longevity differences between -R and +R media in general. Its more important that you get quality media.

I have some Princo discs that I burned like 2 years ago that are no longer readable. Several actually are flaking off.

For longevity, Taiyo Yuden media appears to be one of the more respected names.

And they really aren’t expensive.

TY 4x DVD-R in 100 pack - $1.40 each

TY 4x DVD+R in 100 pack - $1.40 each

There are smaller packs as well. TY media should also burn at 8x with the stock NEC firmware.

just browsiing newegg you can get 50 RICOHJPNR01 for 46 bucks including shipping. The ty price following the provided link was 1.40. ty 50% premium over the RICOHJPNR01 i dont think so.

Newegg has some samsung dvd+r 4x that are ty YUDEN000T01 a 50 pack for 56 bucks or a mer $1.14 per disk now ill pay a 24% premium for the better media. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-131-223&depa=0

Originally posted by bboy
just browsiing newegg you can get 50 RICOHJPNR01 for 46 bucks including shipping. The ty price following the provided link was 1.40. ty 50% premium over the RICOHJPNR01 i dont think so.

Well, I did say that I seconded the recommendation about RICOHJPNR01 media. I use it and like it a lot.

I was just pointing out that many people think TY media is some of the best media available, as well as the most reliable. And provided links to it.

Some people will pay a 50% premium for that.

I only use TY DVD and CD-R media because I want maximum assurance that the video and data I write now will still be there in 5 - 10 years; and I don’t want to waste time and money with brands which vary significantly in quality frome batch to batch. But for projects that have no archival importance, I would consider using cheaper media.

In the USA I have found TY DVD-R and CD-R media in Fuji Japan packages, and have had excellent burns with it! The DVD-R media retails for about $1.75/disc (including jewel case), in ten packs. A 30 disc spindle of CD-Rs retails for about $12. Well worth it to me for peace of mind…

Hi everybody ! :smiley:
Seems that its not just me who confused about this !
I recently got my NEC 2500A !
Can anyone confirm that the Samsung is Taiyo Yuden’s…?

Before i read this thread I was thinking to get the Ritek RICOHJPNR01 disc !

As far as I know TY is one (if not) of the best disc manufacturer…
So is it a good thing to get the Samsung instead…?
Thanx in advanced ! :smiley:

Useful replies, especially concerning Princo discs relatively short lifetime.

I’m having trouble finding suppliers of branded or unbranded ‘Taiyo Yuden’ discs in the UK, anyone know of a supplier? If not then I might try the prodiscs…

Cheers,
Doctor Deaf

Hiya

@ doctor deaf

Ty G01 £.81p ex vat at cd-reseller.co.uk. Verbatim pastel 5 pack in slim case. These disc’s are 101% TY as i have quite a few in from them and they all check out as TY. They have a real solid quality feel to them as well, very very different to the bulkpaqs and riteks etc…

Hope that helps ya !

Regards

Mark

Any ideas on where to find inkjet printable TYG01 in the UK at that kind of price?

That’s a great price for TYG01 (I was well aware that the ‘pastel’ Verbatim 4x DVD-R is Taiyo Yuden TYG01), but I really only want to buy inkjet printable media, having a Canon i865.

So far, I’ve only found the inkjet printable TYG01 at around GBP1.40 including VAT per disc, and you have to buy a 100 disc spindle (which is more discs than I need - I’d consider a 25 disc spindle at GBP1 including VAT a disc, though).

David

Hiya

@davidw

off topic but just to let you my R800 is in but as yet unpacked, way too busy to play , but first impressions coming soon…

Regards

Mark

Hi,

@ Mark

cd-reseller.co.uk

I Couldn’t find this site? I’ve found some Plextor branded discs that are claimed to be Taiyo Yuden but they are £1.11 + vat each.

What are MMC discs like? The only place I found selling Verbatim pastels had an ‘mmc’ manufacturers code?

Learning fast :confused:
Doctor Deaf

Hiya

@ Doctordeaf

Hmm let me see,

http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/index.mhtml

there you go try that…The Ty’s are really really good, i’ve been burning them all afternoon and not a single problem…

MCC 002 + = Excellant
MCC 01RG20 - = Excellant
TYG01 = The best
Bulkpaq orange…er well they always play o.k and not a single coaster so far…
Bulkpaq printable,= had a few that wont play out of same spindle
Ridisc G04 = good

Thats all i’ve used so far, getting near over a hundred backups now…

Regards

Mark

Hiya again

should have read your post better…its late and i should go to BED …anyway…

The link i gave you has the pastel verbatims , they list the code as MCC on their page but they ARE TYG01. As i say i have ordered lots from them and they all check out as TYG01…

For Verbatim , try Blankdiscshop.co.uk, they seem to be the cheapest. Again they have so far not let me down and all the product has been first rate…

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,
I’m about to order the drive (black bezel £65 delivered inc vat) and the discs. While I wait for delivery I’ll take a look at how to burn the damn things just in case I need to handle the software differently to CDR’s to minimise any the chance of any coasters :wink:

Thanks again!
Doctor Deaf

Well my 2500 finally turned up as did 30 jewel cased Verbatim (MCC 01RG20) from SVP for £0.89 each Including VAT

I stuck the drive in, checked DMA settings, fired up Nero and did my first burn at the recommended 4X setting. After burning 4.3gb in about 15 min (6 CD’s in 15 min is pretty fast!) Nero did a verification run and said all was OK. After reading some posts here I decided to try out Nero DVD Speed to check the disc and got the following graph. My question is does this look OK? I’m presuming its fine because the graph is smooth?

Cheers,
Doctor Deaf

That’s a perfect graph.

You may be able to push that media to 6x or even 8x. I managed to write a couple of discs with that type of result at 8x in one drive. However, if I try it in the drive I have now, the write quality is awful once the drive switches to 6x writing - so bad that the ND-2500A itself won’t read it. The discs were so bad that rather than being tempted to regard them as barely readable archive copies of the data (they will read back in my Lite On LTD-163 DVD-ROM with a struggle), I shredded them.

You can only experiment - try one disc with ideally at least 4GB if not more on it at 8x and try CD-DVD Speed on all the DVD drives you have access to. If the curve is not like the one you posted, it hints that your drive and that media really isn’t happy at anything faster than 4x (at 8x, the first 800MB or so is written at 4x, to about 2GB is 6x, and the remainder 8x).

At 4x this media seems very solid - and at 89p for inkjet printable jewel cased media, I think it’s an excellent buy. (I do have a printer - in my case a Canon i865). 8x writing only saves about 5 minutes over 4x anyway, because of the ‘zone’ nature of 8x writing on this drive.

(I’ve got a few 4x and 8x Verbatim DVD+R from blankdiscshop.co.uk for testing - in particular, I’m interested to see if the 8x DVD+R works OK, or whether my current drive is bad at 8x writing, full stop. A better comparison would be some supported 8x DVD-R media, but that’ll have to wait).

SVP (blankdiscshop.co.uk) now have Verbatim 8x DVD-R, but the price is still very high and I’m pretty sure there’s no proper support for it in current ND-2500A firmware.

David